Author Topic: Matched set of six primitive arrows...(way too many pics)  (Read 9730 times)

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
Re: Matched set of six primitive arrows...(way too many pics)
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2013, 10:29:03 pm »
Great set of arrows! 
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2013, 10:06:35 am »
Those are  :o :) Goal for this winter is to make half dozen like that. Simple and very beautiful. Deer will be chasing you to be shot by one of those ;)
Nice work, What do points that size weigh btw?
Greg

I wish I could give you a grain weight but since I dont have a scale I cant tell ya. what I can say is that when these arrows were complete they weighed suprisingly little. When I was first making these arrowheads I thought they would be too big however now that I see them hafted on the arrows I dont think I would hunt with any much smaller. I already have a very long draw length so naturally these arrows are long as well, I am hoping my bow-in-progress hits 65# to really sling these babies !
Bummer on the weight. I want to build a set w stone points after I get the better basics of knapping figured out. I like that style of point. It would be perfect if they weigh around 160 grains. Those will cut a big hole for sure. I would be suprised if you didn't get a pass thru w a 60-65 lb bow. I too am working on my this years hunting bow I tillered it out to 62 lbs at 27in then heat treated it, can't wait to get her done ;)
Nice set of arras

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2013, 11:51:15 am »
Based on some .270 bullets I have that weight 160 grains, these points are a good bit lighter. Ill be tillering my bow today and will keep yall informed how shes lookin !
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2013, 05:25:12 pm »
Based on some .270 bullets I have that weight 160 grains, these points are a good bit lighter. Ill be tillering my bow today and will keep yall informed how shes lookin !

Wow! :o  Those are fantastic! 8)  I too like the coral snake pattern. ;) 8)  But  are you sure the .270 bullet weighs 160 grains?  Is this a new bullet weight for the .270?  I thought the highest weight was 150.  At any rate, those are really nice arrows, lots of work, and talent. ;) 8)  I am getting a little better on my flaking now, but still a poor excuse of a knapper. :(  Will get into it more once I get my house sold, and back out to Montana.  No problem on the number of photos, was looking more in fact. ;) :)

Wayne

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2013, 07:01:58 pm »
Awesome ! what part of Montana are you moving to. I spent a lot of time there as a kid...Love that state ! Lots of Jasper up there if I remember correctly.
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2013, 06:18:05 pm »

As thick as the first few points are that I have made outta glass I will have no trouble getting 160 grains out of a head that size ;D

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2013, 08:14:01 pm »
Hahah !

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline bow101

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2013, 08:56:19 pm »
Very sweet job ya did there    8)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline stickbender

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2013, 10:49:23 pm »

Seminolewind, I have a home in Thompson Falls.  It is about two hours from Missoula, find Couer d' alene, and angle down to the right, and there is Thompson Falls.  About two hours from Libby, and the same from Sand Point Idaho.  Supposed to be some black jade in the area, but have never seen any, or know of anyone who has.  I have to go back to Oregon, and visit with Emory coons, and his Dad Cecil, and make a trip to Glass Buttes.  Again, those are really nice arrows.  I can't make pretty arrowheads, I can make functional ones though.  I don't the animals really care how it looks. ;)  Where about in Montana were you ramblin?  I have Relatives in Billings, and some Friends in Townsend.

Wayne

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2013, 02:51:53 pm »
these are outstanding!
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2013, 09:29:04 pm »
Beautiful looking arrows ;D    I love them!
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2013, 05:19:35 pm »
I was not aware that there's such a thing as too many primitive arrow pics! ;)

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2013, 03:03:06 pm »
Not too many Pic's !...Really nice looking work. Thank you for sharing it  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2013, 12:27:40 pm »
Man those are sweet!
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2013, 11:00:45 am »
  SWEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
  I use bee's wax as a natural sealent. Those are nice points but I knap mine with out the barbs. Makes it alot easyer to pull out the arrow when practiceing. Plus like this your pointswon't losen from the shaft when pulling them from the target. Plus there's not many states that alows you to hunt with barbed points.
  Indains did try for pass throughs. They mainly shot light bows, those barbed points were made like that so the arrow would'nt fall out.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING