Author Topic: 100 foot sinew cable project completion!  (Read 7076 times)

Offline swamp monkey

100 foot sinew cable project completion!
« on: August 09, 2013, 07:02:45 pm »
Back in June I started a project for making a sinew cable for a second arctic cable-backed bow.    My first arctic cable-backed bow was made with nylon cable and local woods from Missouri. http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,30234.0.html That was an experiment.

I want this second cable bow to be made with more authentic materials than my first cable-backed  bow.  This means the cable and wood choices have to change. 

So I started with the double strand, reverse twist cable.  Here are the final stats:
*I used about 25 white-tail deer tendons. 
*I pounded tendons for a combined 3 hours.
*I shredded and separated sinew strips for roughly 7 hours. 
*making cord took 13.5 hours and went at a rate of roughly 7.5 feet per hour. 
*trimming the cable took 1.5 hours.

I did not process all of the deer tendons from the legs.  I processed about 10,  the rest came from Patches (you have my gratitude Patches!). Cutting out tendons takes time too.  The 10 I did amounted to roughly 30 minutes of labor.  At that rate Patches likely spent an additional hour cutting tendons free from legs. 

So the grand total of time invested in making this cable is a whopping 26.5 hours.

The cable reached 102 feet and five inches before I concluded last night!   :D :D :D :D

Pics below show the cable before and after trimming, the full cable looped up, and the final image is of the cable stretched out down a driveway. 

The bow I make will have less than 8 hours in it, so the cable is by and far the largest investment. 

I am SO very pleased with this.  Thanks for looking guys.  Forgive me but I am proud. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 11:35:23 pm by swamp monkey »

Offline bubby

Re: 100 foot sinew cable project completion!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 08:14:55 pm »
congratulations, you are an animal, now you might want to give your hands a nice ice bath,
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline iowabow

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 09:45:44 pm »
I can say I know what you been through brother!!!! Great job.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline autologus

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 01:02:45 am »
You going to make the bow from a White Oak barrel stave?

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 01:19:07 am »

Dang! :o :o  That is a lot of work!  You going to go get some seal blubber for dinner? :P ;D ;D
     Man that is something! 8)  So...... what are you doing now?  Why aren't you busy working on that bow?  Now that you show us the cable, where is the bow?  Don't you have any work ethics? ;D ;D ;D  Man that is fantastic! ;) 8) 8)

Wayne 

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 11:09:19 am »
Thanks for the kind words fellas. 
Grady, I do intend to use an oak stave for the bow! You obviously know a thing or two about the arctic bows.   

Wayne, I am soaking my hands like bubby said!  I'll get to work after my spa treatment ;)

I THINK that I WANT to tackle a bow like one of these below.  My trouble is I don't know if the whole bow is deflexed or if it is just the recurves (retrograde tips).  I looks complicated (like scary complicated  :o ???) but If I am going to go to all this trouble I want to do it all the way.  Like a moth drawn to the flame I can't look away.

I think I have a disease . . . ya know?       A fun disease though! 8)

thanks again guys.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 12:31:43 pm »
Awesome! That must have been a chore. Based on what I saw in the Alaskan museum, The bow was mostly straight limbed or even slightly reflexed, and the tips weren't necessarily deflexed, they were just weaker than the main body so appeared to end slightly more at brace. Hope this helps.

Jon

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 10:42:11 pm »
Awesome! That must have been a chore. Based on what I saw in the Alaskan museum, The bow was mostly straight limbed or even slightly reflexed, and the tips weren't necessarily deflexed, they were just weaker than the main body so appeared to end slightly more at brace. Hope this helps.

Jon

Jon that is immensely helpful.  Thank you!

The cable took time but i broke it up over the summer.  If I watched a movie I made cord.  If I was in a lawn chair I processed sinew.  It is totally compatible with chatting and movie watching.  Thanks. 

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 03:29:42 am »
WOw you have patience
I like osage

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 06:52:43 am »
Yes Sir Cool Thread...
And Great Work!

I'll be a-watching' for the Bow Build...

:)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline neuse

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 11:00:24 am »
That's a great job making sinew cord.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 09:18:45 am »
What a project,nicely done. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Marks

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 01:39:46 pm »
That's impressive. I look forward to seeing the grand finale.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 02:27:26 pm »
Ambitous job but if done right it'll be awsome.Hope to see it in the bow section sometime.It would get my vote.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 05:23:57 pm »
I found some interesting images of this five curve arctic bow.  Instead of searching for images of cable backed bows I simply typed Eskimo bow and came up with a lot more results.  Most of the time these bows are shown strung or at full drawn - seldom unstrung.  It's more dramatic that way!

These images show that the bows had five curves even when unstrung.  Two recurve bends and three deflex bends.  If there is a better name for this style of bow someone please jump in here.  It is different than the desert SW bows that have the opposite bend at every step.  Backwards five curve?  Cable backed five curve?  IDK.  ???

Jon was right about some of the bows being reflexed.  There are plenty of drawings and photos out there that show he is right.  The ones that have static recurves with bone or wood stiffeners on the recurve had no deflex.  I will post some pix later. 

Here comes my opinion. (warning!!  :o ) for these five curve bows I think they put some mild deflex in the tips and the main bow limbs.  Some set may have crept in but I think this was done on purpose for these bows.  I noticed most of them have wrapping around the recurve section also.  Most of pics are not good enough to tell if there is a stiffener in there.  I suspect not.  Again JMHO.

Ya'll jump in here and let me know what you think.   I am getting closer to having
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 06:49:54 pm by swamp monkey »