Author Topic: Laminated static recurve board bow  (Read 10873 times)

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
Re: Laminated static recurve board bow
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 02:52:18 pm »
Could I add a small riser and make it bendy?

I think "incredibly small" is going to be your only reliable option here.  I have a bow with 15" working limbs for a total of 30" of working wood, but it's only a thirty pound bow. My 42" short bow has no raiser what so ever, and a handle only slightly more narrow than the limbs to keep it at a decent weight at 25" draw.

I think it could work, but it'd be risky.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2013, 04:18:38 pm »
I think I'm gonna glue something on. And thin it out as I need to. I'm still gonna go for it. Ill post more pics as I go. Who knows. Maybe it'll work. I also had the idea of ripping the red oak super thing and leaving the ends where it bends. Then putting more hickory for a belly and tiller from that. Does that sound a little too crazy?
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2013, 05:16:06 pm »
I gotta ask, how many other bows have you made? It sounds like you are trying to make a glass bow from marginal natural materials? If your gonna go for it its on you, but after many people with a ton of experience say its not gonna work, its probably not gonna work. Good luck.

Jon

Offline bubby

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2013, 05:47:44 pm »
you can build up the handle area with cork or leather to fill your hand, not saying it wont work, but if it does go buy a lottery ticket  >:D :laugh:
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2013, 06:02:36 pm »
I respect everyone's knowledge. I already started making it before my posts. So I gotta try and finish it. I've saw recurred board bows and figured I'd try. I think I'm going to rip the red oak and leave the static tips. And put a lamination of hickory on the belly along with the back. Then I can taper the hickory forum floor tiller and wish for the best. What do I have to lose, 15$ in wood and some time. Oh maybe an eye... It's a learning experience. I am no way trying to disrespect the advice from much more experienced bowyers. But when the hamster in my head gets on the wheel I gotta try it. Thanks again everyone and ill let u know what happens.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline bubby

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2013, 08:13:03 pm »
I know what ya mean, most of us are kinda hard headed ::), good luck with it and do wear safety glasses, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2013, 10:18:07 pm »
I know what ya mean, most of us are kinda hard headed ::), good luck with it and do wear safety glasses, bub

+1

Jon

mikekeswick

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2013, 02:49:23 am »
Would some one explain "trapping the back" please.
Thanks
Don

I already did.

Don Case

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2013, 12:30:00 pm »
Would some one explain "trapping the back" please.
Thanks
Don

I already did.

I went back and found your post and between it and Weylin's post I got it sorted. Sometimes I'm a little thick.
Thanks
Don