Author Topic: Native American Bow Replica  (Read 13551 times)

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Native American Bow Replica
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 11:22:11 am »
Looks good! One excellent source of detailed drawings, measurements, and such from original NA bows is Jim Hamm and Steve Alleley's Bows, Arrows, and Quivers of the Native Americans.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2013, 11:33:29 am »
Nicely done!  That would be right at home in a museum , if it wouldn't be such a waste of a good bow!  Josh

Offline Parnell

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2013, 11:46:55 am »
That's awesome Tim!  I'm a fan of the string...did you wax it at all?  Beeswax maybe?   
Great job, tiller looks super.
1’—>1’

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 11:51:04 am »
That's awesome Tim!  I'm a fan of the string...did you wax it at all?  Beeswax maybe?   
Great job, tiller looks super.
  I didn't wax it although I do have some wax.  Wasn't sure what the purpose would be.  Preservation?   Eh, I'll need to make another one in a couple months anyway.  I think that string is too thick so I need to make one that is thinner... I'll do that during the winter in the week that it freezes. lol
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 12:53:32 pm »
Love the authenticity. You may want to think about taking it to your local museum and talk with the curator. I have met a few who know more about bows than their wife!  You can get some first hand knowledge and good research leads too. What kind of sealer did you use?
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2013, 01:39:11 pm »
Nice looking bow Tim.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 01:45:10 pm »
Dan, I'll use straight beeswax. 
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2013, 02:07:12 pm »
Dan, I'll use straight beeswax.

Something to consider is whether or not bees would have been in the area you are replicating.  Honey Bees were introduced to North America.  Fat/grease may be more correct if you are keeping primitive and historic.

IW
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline dbb

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2013, 02:09:00 pm »
That is a "stick and a string" at its best,well done!
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 02:23:03 pm »
Good to know, IW.  Personally, my goal with this stuff is to make bows out of local materials that I can gather or trade for.  I never want to go to the store to get supplies.  I'm not really into replicating stuff exactly.  I figured I would use that design because after a few thousand years of living here I figured the natives knew what they were doing with that design and I'm into making things that function and can be made in an efficient manner with less work.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2013, 03:37:10 pm »
. You may want to think about taking it to your local museum and talk with the curator. I have met a few who know more about bows than their wife!

Wow really!!!!

That would be refreshing to hear,cause  i have not had that experience.If i see one more bow strung backwards in a museum,im gonna explode.LOL

I also hate the looks you get,when you politely try to point it out to them.Its like im the Idiot who has no clue.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2013, 09:41:48 pm »
Hey PrimTim?  Are you getting the sense that people approve of your efforts?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Viking

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2013, 09:50:20 pm »
Very nice, question - agave fibers - do you first have to spin some threads to then make bundles, kind of like you would spin wool?

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2013, 09:50:40 pm »
Nice work PrimTim. I really like those nocks. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline JonW

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2013, 10:41:24 pm »
That's a dang fine representation. Good work.