Author Topic: Greetings from Indiana!  (Read 2612 times)

Offline Viking

Greetings from Indiana!
« on: August 12, 2013, 05:27:24 pm »
This is my first post here on primitive archer.  Some of you may know me, from my family and I's travels this summer in Michigan.  While I am new to traditional & primitive archery, I learned to hunt with a bow from my father 25 years ago.  During college and my early adult life I set aside hunting, but 5 years ago decided it was time to pick up a bow and hunt once again, so that I could pass it on to my 5 sons.

This last winter, I was introduced to traditional archery by a dear friend of mine when he invited me to go to the Kalamazoo Traditional Archery Expo. We joined the Michigan Longbow Association while at Kalamazoo, and planned to attend their spring member shoot in May of 2013.

We had never camped, gone to a 3D shoot, my wife had never shot a bow, and I would receive my first longbow just a week before that event.  We bought a tent, rented a uhal trailer to bring enough gear for a family of 7.  This experience propelled my wife and I in a direction neither of us expected.

After the MLA Spring Shoot, we bought a camper (as my 40 year old body did not agree with sleeping on the ground in a tent) to pull behind our Ford E350 van, spent some time at 3Rivers, and went to Marshal for their primitive rendezvous.  There I was introduced to self-bow making and finished my first self-bow, with which I plan to hunt this fall.

When all is said in done this year we will have gone to over a dozen traditional archery events in Michigan, Indiana and a knap-in in Flint Ridge Ohio.

I look forward to getting to know more of the primitive archery family.  Hopefully I will be able to pay forward the amazing generosity of time, talent, and material that we have been shown this year in the coming years.

If there is anyone from Indiana, near Indianapolis, would like to find a way to link up and talk primitive archery over a beverage.

Thanks,
Chris

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Greetings from Indiana!
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 05:45:21 pm »
Welcome fellow Hoosier.  I'm in the southeast corner of the state.  There are several other PA members from Indiana.  Ozzy, Tracy, and Bowtarist are closer to you than I am.  They are all good guys.  Are you planning on making the shoot at Scottsburg in Sept?  I'm planning on being there.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 06:30:07 pm »
Chris
Welcome to PA !!

It has been exciting for me to watch your family jump into primitive archery !
You have done well and are all ready paying your way , the excitement that you show and the eagerness to learn is contagious to all around you !!

Glad to hear you are planing on coming to Flint Ridge !! Hope to see ya there !!

Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline seabass

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 06:43:43 pm »
welcome aboard brother.you are in the right place.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Ozzy

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 06:58:24 pm »
Welcome Chris I'm about an hour south of Indy send me a pm some time
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 09:37:26 pm »
Welcome Chris! I'm an hour south and 8 miles,closer to you than ozzy >:D are you a knapper as well?

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline DGF

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 04:55:39 am »
Glad to see you made it over here Chris! I didn't realise you had such a trek to the shoots.

-Dan
Wyoming, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 08:32:01 am »
Welcome Chris,hope you enjoy it here. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 08:48:38 am »
Welcome to pa Chris...glad ya joined up...my wife n I enjoyed shooting/hanging out/camping with you and your wife  ...hope to see ya around here..this is a good place to keep in touch with everybody,meet new friends etc...  :D  and like I told my wife..you guys dove head first all into this...cool  :D. Oh..n ford E350's rock for us big families ;)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 08:58:45 am »
So YOUR the guy that was whittling on a stave near the clubhouse in Elm Hall! Welcome to the site.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 09:19:21 am »
Welcome Chris, I live in Bloomington, but work on the south side of Indy at Manual High School.  PM me if you'd like to meet up sometime.  Maybe we could have a Hoosier get together down in Brown County sometime.  I've got a small course at the house and a knapping pit and my neighbor has a huge field and allows me to shoot long shots there as well.  Sounds fun! dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 02:15:56 pm »
This page in the elm hall thread has some pics of you,Amy n some of your boys in em if ya  haven't seen this yet..

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,39706.135.html

And don't be shy around here...were all just a bunch of normal average joes...

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 03:14:59 pm »
Welcome to PA  8)
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline Viking

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 03:30:33 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome. I look forward to getting to know you guys better.  For those in Indiana, south of Indy, I will be at the Bloomington Archery Club this Saturday.  I would hate to be the only one with a selfy.  I get looks and questions when I shot my self bow and self-knocked sinew tied arrows.  Hope to get more people interested in primitive archery.

Tracy, we are learning to knap, and will be headed to flint ridge this fall.

We live north of Indy near Elwood.  We will be going to the Farmland shoot in a few weeks.

What is the shot in Scottsburg, have not heard anything on that one.

blackhawk, we enjoyed our time with you guys at Elm Hall, your advise on that stave saved my back, I would probably still be there without it ;)  Hope you guys can make flint ridge

I am only able to link a couple of you guys call sign with your faces.  If we met, you may need to help me remember.

Pappy, It was a pleasure to meet you at Elm Hall.  My wife and I along with all our boys are looking forward to coming down to Tennessee next year.

Next for the Gault's is Lapeer next weekend.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 11:15:14 pm »
Chris, the Scottsburg shoot is the Indiana Traditional Bowhunters Association. Some of us on PA are shooting there tomorrow at 9am. Come on down if you want some "stick" bow company. They have a weekend shoot in September 20&21. Camping, shooting and trade blanket. Should be a handful of PA folks there from IN and KY. Hope to meet you and your crew at some point.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956