Author Topic: how do you keep your feathers dry  (Read 10372 times)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: how do you keep your feathers dry
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 03:32:52 am »
Don't shoot in the rain and you're good to go  8)

For us PNW folk it always rains come hunting season
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline adb

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 06:49:31 am »
use nothing or if I really really need it i will use the fat from browning taco meat. My dad pours it off(it makes it a signifigant amount healthier) into a can and I asked him to save it(haha I browned the meat but he poured it off

Fat drippings from browning ground meat?? On your feathers?? Really. What you bin smokin' boy?

Bohning makes a great feather dry powder. I believe it's talcum. But, like others, I very rarely shoot or hunt in the rain.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 07:00:52 am »
What  Osage outlaw said,both times. ;) :)I usually don't use anything,I only use primary wild turkey and really don't have a problem, years ago when I used bought feathers I used the same stuff Pat mentioned,worked great.  :) First time you shoot them is fun,get a big puff in the face. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 10:56:41 am »
Thanks for all the advice, sounds like I'll give it a go as is. I do have a few goose feathers for the late season (wet season) or if I have any issues with the early season. Thanks I guess I'm getting nervous with my 1st archery deer and elk season just two weeks away. Happy Hunting. Ed
PS; I'll hold off on the taco fat. 
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 01:29:35 pm »
Natural turkey feathers do a pretty good job by themselves but my stalker quiver has a fletching hood. The one on the string is usually protected by my arm.

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 03:11:06 pm »
Preening oil from the glan on a chickens butt

So....... Is this done with a live chicken? If it is i would like to see a video. :o
Steve Bennett

Offline adb

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 03:18:07 pm »

So....... Is this done with a live chicken? If it is i would like to see a video. :o

Me too!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 05:21:32 pm »

Taco meat fat????  :o :o what the H*#@ is he talking about?
DBar

ya know, it looks like tallow and works just fine.
So try it.
before you rant on me.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 05:22:21 pm »

Just squeeze into a little bottle :)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline adb

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 05:37:16 pm »

DBar

So try it.
before you rant on me.

I can't imagine how putting tallow on your feathers would do anything other than completely ruin them. Have you tried this, or is this another one of your 'opinions?' I think maybe you stuck your finger in it again??

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2013, 06:36:51 pm »

DBar

So try it.
before you rant on me.

I can't imagine how putting tallow on your feathers would do anything other than completely ruin them. Have you tried this, or is this another one of your 'opinions?' I think maybe you stuck your finger in it again??

1. in my indian book from ben hunt, apparently the indians used to apply a light coat of bear grease to feathers to protect them. Well, I don't have bear grease... so why not cow grease? So far I have had absolutly no issues- BUT I do NOT use sinew to fletch my arrows, or any kind of glue and sinew. I use raffia fiber(a plant fiber)...
i also tried mixing a little of the stuff with bees-wax. worked fine as a bow finish. water beads up really nice.
issue- it never really dried though.
BTW in case you wondered- this stuff is clean beyond belief. It looks like lightish beeswax, except it has the consistancy of butter.

If you don't want to try it, fine. I wasn't trying to get you to. I wouldn't try it on any arrow with feathers glued on or with sinew.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2013, 09:35:31 pm »
This isn't primitive and may sound strange, but it works. The first time Chris Cade and I hunted the Alexacarrie Plantation a Tropical Storm moved in at 5:30 in the morning. We hunted in straight down rain from Dawn to Dusk. I had just finished a set of arrows and I hit them again, lightly with a mist of Polyurethane before I went. I had the only arrows that made it through the day with the fletching not laying flat.

Now, I just lightly hit them with Poly.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2013, 10:51:22 am »
  I'm lucky I can buck hunt everyday day of the season (AND DO). So a rain day is use'lly wecomed.
 I GUESS YOU CAN SAY I DON'T HUNT IN THE RAIN unless its a light rain. Although I did gobbler hunt a few morning in the rain this spring. I use turkey feathers mostly they have some oils in them. Not as water proff as geese feathers but you'd have to set in a down pour for your feathers to lay down.
 Back when I shot compounds (a life time ago 30 years) I bought water proffing. Try geese feathers it has a nature oils and are totally water proff.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Marks

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2013, 12:51:17 pm »
Is this before or after you add the taco seasoning? >:D
Can I just run my arrow thru my burrito supreme?

Just pokin O:)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2013, 01:02:32 pm »
I don't. If it rains they get wet and lay down. They seem to shoot fine at 10 yards either dry or wet. So I don't mess with it anymore.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.