Author Topic: KiTH anyone?  (Read 26709 times)

Offline wildman

Re: KiTH anyone?
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2013, 10:22:03 pm »
I roughed out a blade today, and polished a leg bone its aging in coffe grounds now. I have some barrel brown left over from last flinter build for the blade. I hope somebody likes a F/I trade knife or roach belly!
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2013, 11:20:40 pm »
wildman whoever gets it if they don't like it they can send it to me it would go good with my F&I outfit.

Offline sleek

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2013, 11:26:31 pm »
Question for you KH. How are you forging in that bevel for the edge? What are you using to allow you to hammer a consistent angle?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2013, 06:07:33 pm »
sleek
no special tools.
just a couple hammers that I like to use for dropping the edge and bevel work
I try to keep the hammer strokes even from one side to the other and practice ,practice, practice
Kevin

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2013, 09:59:57 pm »
Howdy Y'all,

Is it too late to get into the KITH this go round?

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2013, 07:19:40 am »
no it isnt.  I will update the list and put your name on it this evening

Offline sleek

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2013, 01:33:57 am »
Fired up the ole bow scrap burning forge today. Sittin by its fire taking a break as a mater of fact letting coals settle. Holy carp my 5 lb hammer is heavy! I haven't used it in so long! Anyways, just making some knife forms. I reall don't know what to make for my person because I don't know who he is. I guess this is luck of the draw. So we will see what gets made and how it turns out. Pics up soon.

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2013, 10:39:56 am »
started on mine yesterday hope to get some more work done on it this afternoon along with a couple others.
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline wildman

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2013, 09:12:33 pm »
Here is mine so far. I have been making mostly Mid 1700s style lately trying to get that era down. The kinfe is a generic copy of that period. It has deer leg bone handle aged in coffee grounds double pin trade style blade, pinned with soft steel and then wrapped and sewn with wet rawhide to pull it all tight. The blade is a circular saw blank I aged for effect it was double oil quenched and then treated with plum brown. I will make a sheath from brain tan. I hope you guys like it. If this would not be good for some please comment and I can whip something up a little more up to date

Thanks for looking
Keith
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2013, 10:06:57 pm »
I'm not a knife maker, but love it!  Would go good with my flintlock
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline sleek

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2013, 10:26:18 pm »
Hey man, looks good to me. Mine will be made from a piece of spring steel from an old horse drawn wagon. I know I want the knife to be usable as possiable. Reckon most here hunt with a bow, so they need to clear a shooting lane. The knife will be a chopper. Also good for quartering up an animal, so will not be a hard point but rather roll it up towards the spine, which allows for skinning and gutting without poking a gut sack or a hole in the hide, or yourself even. For chopping power and lite weight, will have more mass up forward and less to the handle. Pobably going to magnatize it also to point north when hung from a string.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2013, 12:03:28 am »
Well at this point I have a few Damascus blades that I got in trade over the past few years. One a Bowie, a smaller skinner with a welded on tang and a wide skinner.

I also have a few high carbon blades received in trade that I might go with.

Which ever way it goes, it will be meant to be used... :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2013, 09:01:20 pm »
The names have been drawn.  For all that have not started yet, Let the sparks fly.  The man on top sends to the one under him, and the #2 man sends to #3 and so on.  Last man on the list sends to the one at the top.

KHalverson
Parnell
killir duck
Gus
Frost28
Trapper Rob
bubby
bryan irwin
Cardboard_Duck
Sleek
Wildman
madcrow

Everybody PM the one you are sending to for their address and sheath side preference.  Gus, I will PM Frost28's address to you and will email Trapper Robs address to Frost.

Offline Cardboard_Duck

• Winter Haven, FL
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2013, 08:08:02 pm »
Ok, I started on mine. Still have a long way to go. Just though I'd post some progress.
>>>---------->

Offline bubby

« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2013, 08:16:39 pm »
looks good ducky, I went thru trapper robs posts and not one pic, no that really gets me anxious
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹