Author Topic: KiTH anyone?  (Read 26852 times)

Offline Trapper Rob

Re: KiTH anyone?
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2013, 10:00:30 pm »
Had me wondering also been making hay & started chopping corn thought better get my butt in gear.

Offline sleek

« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2013, 07:56:44 am »
Hey wildman, when you pick up a knife, what are you generally doing with it? Carving bows, whittling smaller things, fishing hunting?I just want to make sure what you get is something useful.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 08:18:01 pm by sleek »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bubby

« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2013, 08:08:32 pm »
I've got mine ruffed out, got to start the bevel on it and figure out what to make the handle out of, antler or wood, maybe cholla
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline wildman

« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2013, 09:55:58 pm »
Sleek ,I will be happy with whatever. If I had to choose I do not have a heavy chopper.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2013, 12:09:39 am »
Howdy Y'all,

I've made great progress on the Damascus Skinner this weekend.
Should be finishing it up later tonight or tomorrow.
I'll post some photos shortly there after.

This holds the potential to be my best yet.
I've learned a Lot on this build.
And I have been shown that I still have much to learn.
I would Love to sit with a Bladesmith one day to learn how to improve my process.  :)

I'll start on the sheath next week.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline sleek

« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2013, 05:30:46 am »
Well, here are two blades I am working on at the same time. I cant decide which one to send. Both have their pros and cons. Maybe some feed back would help me decide?

The one on the left is more narrow spined as it was forged from stock into that shape from 1095. The one on the right is mostly stock removal from an old wagon leaf spring that sparks like crazy on the grinder. 

Any opinions? Both these knives are to be heavy duty choppers for doing all bow making duties, from chopping down sapling staves with the heave curved forward section, using as a draw knife ( the fat flat front on the knife gives a nice hand hold with little to no actual point hitting your palm ), and scraping with the long flat inner blade. The transition between fat outter blade and thinner inner blade is great for rounding corners or bows as well. Also I hope the spines allow a batton to be used for splitting wood.

To come up with these I went with a small modified machete design on the left and crossed a machete and a K-Bar knife on the right to make what I hope to be the ultimate bow making knife. This is important to me because I love making bows start to finish with just a knife.  Thoughts please?

Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline wildman

« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2013, 01:56:39 pm »
Sleek, If it will throw a good spark thats a plus in my book.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline Gus

« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2013, 05:48:04 pm »
Knife is done.
Just need to polish it a bit and put a finish on her.

here are a couple a photos:

Setup

I'll get the finished pick up once I get her shined up...   >:D

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline bubby

« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2013, 05:52:02 pm »
I kinda like the shape of the one on the right sleek, I don't know what to tell ya gus that is gonna be beautiful, bub

Offline Gus

« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2013, 04:11:43 pm »
Four coats of Tung oil and polishing...
I'm calling it done.

:)

Now for some leather...

-gus

Conroe, TX

Offline bubby

« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2013, 05:48:58 pm »
fancy, sweet looker fer sure Gus

Offline Parnell

« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2013, 08:51:35 pm »
Wow!  I just finally read through this whole thread and saw the drawing list!  Kevin, I can't wait to see that knife in person...it's incredible.

I don't have a lot of knife experience, this is my first one made from a blade I cut out myself.  It's from some interesting steel that I got from a family member that works at a factory manufacturing various parts for military contracts and firearms.  It's a bandsaw blade that is used to cut aluminum and titanium.  It's stainless, I gather from being in my garage.  I don't know that much about steel and have found I've enjoyed this project...a lot.  I think I may be heading into another hobby, here.

Here's what I've got, so far.  Got a couple more things to do but it's about there. Not fancy like so many other's I'm seeing, but the edge sharpened BEAUTIFULLY, and I'm hoping Mr. Killir Duck will put up with my humble beginnings.

Stephen
1’—>1’

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2013, 01:07:14 am »
looks awesome to me, wish it'd hurry up and get here ;)  got my sheath done, i'll be gone elk hunting for the next 2 weeks so i'll get more pics up and get it in the mail then.
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Parnell

« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2013, 09:46:21 am »
Won't be long.  Just got to seal up the handle and do my sheath Friday night.   Would you PM me your address?
1’—>1’

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2013, 03:45:21 pm »
I finally got the elk scales on my knife.  I will get a pic up as soon as it dries.  Now for the long part, making the sheath.  By the way, the knives are looking great.  It makes me almost ashamed to show mine.