Author Topic: Tiller tree  (Read 1316 times)

Offline Marks

Tiller tree
« on: August 19, 2013, 04:24:48 pm »
I have finally gotten around to making a tillering tree. I've planned on making one for a while but haven't had the wall space. I'm sure some of other pack rats know what I mean. I'm blaming having no tillering tree on part of the reason my first bow attempt blew up. All I had was floor tillering and begging my wife to give her opinion or take a pic for me. Then all of the sudden it was at my target weight and I had barely exercised the limbs a couple times and go figure my tiller was still a little off. I stuck on a string and started yanking it back to full draw.

So I built my tree last night and I have 1 kink and 1 question. My kink is I tried skimp on the pulley and just use a big eye screw. The rope wont slide thru the eye well enough easily pull the poundage I want so I will have to go get me a pulley.

My question is do I need some sort of padding for the shelf where the handles will rest?  I could cut a piece of carpet if needed.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Tiller tree
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 04:31:24 pm »
I round off the top of the tree where the handle sits, it acts as a pivot where your hand will be. It helps get a balanced bow in the end. Also, bag the eye bolts and go buy a pulley, get at least a 2" or every bow will feel like a #100'er. Id get a 3-4" pulley for about $20.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 02:55:43 pm »
I went out to check the pulley on my tree. It is a cheap pulley for marine applications, looks like about 1 1/2". I can pull the limbs on a bow very easily with this pulley in place. There have been over 200 bows made in my shop, this pulley has been in play for most of them. Seems like I broke  a nylon wheel pulley early on in my bow making journey and replaced it with this one from Lowe's.

I agree with Mr Pearl, you have to have a pulley.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 03:14:50 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline Marks

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 03:28:44 pm »
Eric I like that one. I hadn't thought about a marine type pulley. I checked the CoOp and a local gas station/hardware store out in Central and neither had one. I'm trying to find one on my way home from work. I work in Tuscumbia and live in Central so I may hit up Shoals Marine or Discount Dan's on the way home. Trying to keep from making a trip to town.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 04:00:05 pm »
Well, it is a small world. You need to come by the shop for a few pointers. I live about 1 1/2 miles out 47  north  of downtown St Florian. I can PM you directions.

Offline Marks

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 04:09:10 pm »
Well, it is a small world. You need to come by the shop for a few pointers. I live about 1 1/2 miles out 47  north  of downtown St Florian. I can PM you directions.

I had heard you lived in the area. Steve from Dicks Sporting Goods told me I needed to look you up. I do a little fishing out that way on Dr. Ashley's property.