Author Topic: Tiller help please. (NEW PIC)  (Read 5978 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Tiller help please. (NEW PIC)
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 12:08:37 pm »
Lookin' good, maybe a few licks with a rough cat tongue on the upper still ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline adb

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 12:12:30 pm »
That looks much better. The top fade is doing some work, and your tiller is much more even.

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 02:21:51 pm »
lookin really good, i can see a few scrapes on both fade to midlimb areas, moreso on the top limb, but it's definitely good enough to shoot. Nice job!
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2013, 02:27:42 pm »
Look pretty even,good job!still a little whip tillered for my taste,is it was mine I'd flip the tips.just my personal opinion,and you know what opinions are like!lol!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2013, 03:42:46 pm »
Thank you all, I'll go do some more sanding tonight.

Bushboy, not to sound too stupid, but what is whip tillered? and what do mean by flip the tips. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline bushboy

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2013, 04:44:07 pm »
Whip tillered is when your tips are bending to much and inducing stace(when the power stroke suddenly become very hard to pull when reaching full draw because o a high string getting close to 90 degree).flipping the tip counter balances tihis by keeping the string angle down and giving a smoother draw.clamp the bow down back first on a caul and heat it with a heat gun or torch till the the last 8" become brown.I keep my heat source constantly moving as to no burn one area to much.let the wood cool completely and unclamp and it should hold the form.see how the entire limb is doing it's fair share of work and it adds to it's longjevity.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2013, 04:55:24 pm »
Just to clarify, the bow pictured didn't have flipped tips ,I'll put one up later with very mildly flipped tips

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2013, 05:27:29 pm »
Bushboy, thank you for that.
Can I also or do I want to heat the rest of the under side also. I see people talking about scorching / browning the belly for strength?  Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline bushboy

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2013, 05:57:29 pm »
Heat treating is usually done before final tillering but I've done it after and it works,it's your call.maybe someone with more experience can add something.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2013, 06:16:51 pm »
After a little thought,I wouldn't heat treat the entire limb on this bow cause the belly cells have already been somewhat crushed on the outer limb so treating the entire limb will likely over power the treatment on the outter

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2013, 06:28:44 pm »
Thank You very much for all your help Bushboy, I was going to heat treat it but will not be doing that, i'll be looking at flipping the tips tho.. Thanks again. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline sleek

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2013, 08:14:22 pm »
I wouldn't recommend flipping your tips on that bow. They are already thin enough to flex. Any recur ve he puts will pull out and may overstress and break in my humble opinion.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bushboy

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2013, 08:17:30 pm »
May be,but if it were me I'd still try

Offline sleek

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2013, 08:19:07 pm »
Of course he could always glue on an underlay.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bushboy

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2013, 08:49:48 pm »
It worked for me before .I reduced the inners and yes the flip pulled out,but it pulled out straight,came light but I was happy with the tiller,gluing on an over lay is a good idea to.