Author Topic: Lengths of cordage you take on walkabout or have in your kits?  (Read 2956 times)

Offline Tetsuoh

• Part-Time Primitive
I'm getting ready to make a new kit and a question popped up thanks to a friend of mine.

How much and what size cordage/rope do you all keep on hand or take with you when you go hunting gathering or what have you?

Including if your a prepper with a survival kit/bug bag.

Things we're just wondering.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 08:41:06 pm by Tetsuoh »
"In a world full of green, you'd be surprised how many want to see it burn. In a world full of cold grey, you'd be ashamed to see how many remember the green."

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Lengths os Cordage you take on walkabout or have in your kits?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 08:36:52 pm »
If you use para cord you can use it as is or pull the individual strands out and use them. A 10' of para cord can give you almost 100' of individual strings.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Lengths of cordage you take on walkabout or have in your kits?
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 11:02:38 pm »
I keep about 20' of paracord in my "crash" bag.  Plus during deer/Antelope season I keep a drag system.  It consists of a 4 layer thick 2" wide canvas strap with grommets on either end of the 36" length.  I can throw that across my shoulder like a bandolier and along with the paracord to tie to the deer and I gotta nice drag system that keeps the hands free. 

For giggles once I slung that canvas strap between two trees and made a butt hammock style seat to wait for a deer to come to me. 

I also keep a small spool of black sewing thread along with an assortment of needes, including some curved suture needles (got a veterinarian friend that hooked me up), bees wax, and about 50" of artificial sinew.  That way I have a variety of fibrous options.  The beeswax goes with rope/cord/thread because when you wax it the knots stay tighter.  Plus is helps with firestarting when things are soggy.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 10:25:53 pm »
20" of jute(its an amazing firestarter)... plus a mag flint and steel...
And 30' of paracord- 20' in a neat little coil, and 10' in a double chrochet bracelet...
I am debating the merits of a bracelet 2" wide, holds almost 30' of paracord!
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 10:38:20 pm »
Just make it as you need it. lol  This is something you'll figure out as you do it more often.  I keep 50' of paracord in my backpack.  I've never needed that much but it doesn't take up much room and it's light so I just cut off as much as I need at the moment.  A far as size, you just need something that is really strong.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 04:17:30 pm »
25' feet of 1/4" 100# rope is always in my pack.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 03:46:24 am »
I have mostly the same 20-30' of paracord, with a little twist, i.e. 9-cord.
1 roll of this stuff can be used in many ways. I use it at work for securing power, fiber, catV, and catVI.
If anyone out there was in communication service installation or electronics in the Navy will know what I am talkin about.

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 07:26:47 am »
I ran lan line through a carrier once. As I recall the cord was waxy? Dont remember the color though. 
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 11:06:42 am »
Sleek
Yup Waxy, Strong as hell. Color, just plain-o white.
It ranks above nylon for a bow string in a pinch. No stretch that is.
Great for throwing a shelter together quickly in bad weather, and anything else left to only your imagination (Just like paracord).
I have seen 2" thick copper stranded cable tied down with this stuff 2 decades old...still strong as hell.
couldn't do without it.

Ron

God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 03:59:31 pm »
50 feet of 550 para cord.   :)
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline sleek

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 08:27:09 pm »
typically, I carry a spool of 15 lb test mono fishin line a few hooks, and a spare bow string. I fish by a river, and like to toss a jug out in the morning on the way to my spot and check it in the afternoon on the way back. I am pretty much sure to get a 10 or so lb blue for supper that night.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others