Author Topic: shiitake mushrooms on magnolia?  (Read 3385 times)

Offline Marks

shiitake mushrooms on magnolia?
« on: August 28, 2013, 11:18:46 am »
Got a guy coming to help cut down at least one and hopefully 2 of my magnolias today because he is going to grow these mushrooms and needs the wood. Its always good to get help when cutting trees down especially when you a swindle em into helping cut and haul off the wood >:D. Anyone grow shiitakes?? I looked them up just out of curiosity and I didn't see anything about magnolia wood being used. I hope it will work. I had a few osage logs laying around they I wasn't going to split into staves but I don't think they would work very well either since it is so rot resistant so I cut em into firewood last night.

blackhawk

Re: shiitake mushrooms on magnolia?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 07:35:31 pm »
My step dad grows em on oaks without issue...don't have magnolia up here so can't comment on that...

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 11:48:54 pm »
My wife and I have grown Shatakis on two different occasions. We used fresh cut white oak, cut in early spring before the leaves come out. You have to use fresh cut wood. If any other fungi is already in the wood the shatakis won't take.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 11:51:17 pm »
Years ago I read about a place near Charleston SC that used sweet gum logs to grow shatakis.
 4" to 6" diameter logs by 4' long is all you need.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Marks

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 10:21:34 am »
Well this guy was asking for logs on FB and I told him I had a magnolia that needed to come down. He said it would probly work so I hope he is right but either way I got the tree down now so I'm happy. I told him if he needed more wood then let me know and I'd get him some.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 06:46:10 pm »
I've grown shitakes on white oak logs. Oyster mushrooms grow best on tulip poplar logs, which are in the Magnolia family.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.