Author Topic: arrowhead weight questions/suggestions?  (Read 3016 times)

Offline thegreatwhale

arrowhead weight questions/suggestions?
« on: August 26, 2013, 09:49:53 pm »
so i'm looking into forging arrowheads (in addition to everything else) but i really want to keep the weights consistent. what weight ranges would the war bow community normally use? and as far as types go i'm assuming bodkins long and short (four sided and three sided), broadheads, maybe barbed double and single, anything else?
-kegan

Offline WillS

Re: arrowhead weight questions/suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 10:11:11 pm »
You must be able to make Tudor bodkins, as they are the only heads allowed on the EWBS Liverys,  and type 10 bodkins or type 16 swept heads for EWBS Standards and the Westminster arrow.

Long type 7s are used, but nowhere near as often as type 10s and Tudor bodkins.  Hope this helps.  Not entirely sure on weights but the type 10s I have are all around 8 grams.

Offline PortlandJoe

• nock. draw. LOOOOSE!
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 01:55:18 pm »
Please don't limit yourself to ewbs specs.  Tudors and type 10s are only two heads in the Pantheon of heads. 

Offline WillS

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 02:40:32 pm »
Agreed, but he asked for the most commonly used, which are arguably Tudors and 10s.

To get a good idea Kegan, find Hector Cole's website.  He has a great set of photos of just about every head you can imagine, from various periods.

Offline thegreatwhale

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 06:25:47 pm »
i saw hector cole's website and thats what struck the idea first, because i'm sure they are great heads and i'm sure that i could duplicate them and sell/trade them for cheaper than he sells them, just keep it on the american side of things and make some friends in the process. i don't want to take business from him by any means, but for the people who can't afford those prices but still want hand forged heads that are consistent in weight, i might be of service. hell i wouldn't even mind holding a give away at some point to help people out =] (as long as i can afford it that is!)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 06:47:39 pm »
eeeehhhh.... for my warbow(#80) i like 3/8ths oak with 250 grain broadheads(they look like mini-daggers).
they drop a lot but penetrate almost any target(yes, i target- shoot cardboard with broadheads)
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"