Author Topic: New to the forum  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Majuba Tom

New to the forum
« on: September 06, 2013, 04:12:01 am »
I am new the forum and wanted to say hello to everyone.

I am fairly new to knapping. I started in October of 2012 and I am hooked. ;D
I am from Dayton Nevada and have been learning on the stone I have been collecting locally. I started with agate since I knew where plenty of that was to learn on. Around 30 points later I discovered there was small chert nodules in the same area I was collecting the agate. :o Things started to get a little easier after that.

I do want to say thank you to Patrick for all of his videos on his Allergic Hobbit site. They are a tremendous help.

Now for a few pictures. 1st one is one of the small nodules of chert. I have no idea what type of chert it is it just works.

The 2nd picture is some of the spalls I get.

The 3rd is some of the points I made in the last week. All raw stone.

I  hope that worked.

Majuba Tom

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: New to the forum
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 07:07:47 am »
Looks like your getting the most out of the stone your finding. That's some fine looking points there! Keep em coming.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 07:22:49 am »
Welcome to the site! Looks like you're doing pretty darn good for only knapping for a year. Keep them coming.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 12:28:39 pm »
Welcome to the site! Looks like you're doing pretty darn good for only knapping for a year. Keep them coming.

Tracy

what Tracy said...

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 09:38:14 pm »
Looks good like the looks of the stone do you know what kind it is.

Offline Majuba Tom

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 01:21:16 am »
Thanks for the encouragement.

Trapper Rob as for what kind of stone it is. I do not know if it has any special name. All I can say from my research is it is some kind of chert. ??? I can give it a name. ;D Lets say Lyon County chert from Nevada. ::) Kinda boring since I found it in Lyon County Nevada.

I went out and picked up a milk crate full of the stuff to day. I feel lucky when I can find a piece larger than my fist and I found a few that are a bit larger.

Right now a couple of pounds of it is heat treating at 450 deg. I will know tomorrow if it will be easier to work. I hope it works.

Majuba Tom

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 10:15:09 am »
M. Tom
    Welcome to the site! Always room for more talent. Nice points.
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 10:32:26 am »
Tom, Welcome to the site and I am interested in how your Lyon Co. turns out. Good lookin points an looks as if your getting all you can for the size of raw pcs. Bob

Offline Majuba Tom

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 12:43:56 am »
The gray chert chips easier after heat treating. It worked ok before you just had to use some force. The brown stuff you really have to hit it hard at times.

Most of the rock I bring home ends up having to many freeze fractures due to to being on the surface. Some of it is good material and it is only 20 minutes away. It has been good practice to learn on.

Hopefully I will get some time when the weather cools down to check out some other areas that might have better quality stone.

Majuba Tom