Author Topic: New bow and Stumping! (very pic heavy)  (Read 6518 times)

Hoarfrost

Re: New bow and Stumping! (very pic heavy)
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 08:45:39 am »
Thanks for posting. As far as I know Serviceberry is about the only good bow wood that grows [native] here. It is also my favorite shrub, very pretty in the landscape. I haven't used it yet but hope to soon, maybe get a few staves cut to season this winter.

Offline skarhand

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 09:38:19 am »
Very nice! I love just getting out in the woods. I am hoping that by next year I'll have a couple of sweet shooting home made bows to choose from and can take my son out backpack camping and shooting for a weekend.

Good fun!

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 02:50:26 pm »
Cool place to shoot with a nice made bow! bravo!
I like the shafts too, have you ever tried serviceberry and privet as shafts? Privet is my first choice.

Came on, let's see more bows again!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 11:11:03 pm »
Ok dwardo there's quite a few  >:D
Del it's awesome up there, there's so much rotten stuff  ;D Yeah can't wait for the shafts to dry!
Thanks pappy
Hoarfrost it is for sure a great wood, finishes really nice too...definitely give it a go.
Yeah skarhand it makes me want to live up there lol, good luck with your bowmaking!
Thanks Simon, i think i have some serviceberry i grabbed a while back, i bet they'll work good. Never seen much privet up here, Ocean Spray is a great arrow material too. Yeah i'll try and be less lazy and post my work haha!
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 11:39:33 pm »
I really like that handle wrap Zion, may be simple but it sure is pretty! Oh, and nice bow too!

Offline sleek

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 01:05:42 am »
Open that eye man! Your entire life you have been walking around with both eyes open, you point at things you want to show people with both eyes open, so why change things when pointing an arrow?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 01:20:45 am »
NOW,that looks like fun..and you did a wonderful job on the stick...i have alot of snowberry in my area all so...let me know how they work for arrows..john

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 01:29:59 am »
Thanks Accipiter, yeah it's super comfortable, i'll probably do wraps more often now.
Sleek i'll definitely try it when i'm shooting next, i don't see that much of a difference though..? Does shooting with one eye alter your perception?
Thanks Blacktail, i wish i could do that more often! I think i'll see how stiff the shafts are this weekend and then go on from there.
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.