Author Topic: broken bow string  (Read 5622 times)

Offline Strongbow88

broken bow string
« on: December 01, 2007, 08:34:00 pm »
My bow string broke again. both of the string were made of hemp fiber jewelry cord from walmart. They were made from eight strands And were  flemish twist with a loop on one end and a tiber hitch on the other. the first on broke at the nocking point after maby a hundred shots. So the next string i made i sevred the nocking point But after about a hundred shot it btoke near the timber hitch. If I added any more srands the string would be to large. Is there anything I can do to keep it from breaking. Or should I find something else to make a string out of. When or if I kill a deer i plan to make a sinew bow string. 
                                    Thanks
Danny Johnson

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: broken bow string
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 12:14:25 am »
 Though I dont think that hemp from wally world is a good choice still ya can add about 4 -12 '' strands ta string where it makes timber hitch................................bob

Offline Dane

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 06:09:28 am »
The investment in a roll of D-50 or some good linen would be worth it. A broken string can be bad news for the bow, after all, and for your safety, too. The rule of thumb is 4x the weight of the bow. A 50 lb. bow needs a 200 lb. string.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 09:46:41 am »
I made one string from Wallyworld hemp, and I didn't care much for it. I wound up with twelve strands to make it strong enough for my wife's 30# bow, and it was big, heavy, and slow. The stuff is very variable in size along the length of the strand, so it's only as strong as the weakest point. Get some dacron or linen.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 11:32:52 am »
I'm with Dane...B-50... I've never had a string break and on some of my bows(one glass bow especially) I probably have 20,000 shots on the same string and very little wear is obvious. For strings, I prefer not being too primitive. ;D I'm sure that I will make a primitive string at some point or use one that someone else has made but for now, I'll stick with B-50. If you are going all primitive, make your string from scratch.    Also, knots are always a weak point in any cordage...and also sharp edges.
   I have used the hemp twine from Wallyworld for handle wraps and especially where I had problems with handle risers popping off. It is a very strong natural fiber twine. I do set it in epoxy when I use it as a wrap.  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 11:35:40 am »
I used to make my strings out of that hemp all the time, it works for a while, but tends to wear away to quickly. I wold also suggest that you buy a roll of B-50 dacron. Though you seem to want to make it primitive style, the roll would be worth it in the future.
      Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

Minuteman

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 09:51:43 pm »
Google "pyrosupplies" , their linen cord is good stuff.
 I believe its
  www.pyrosupplies.com

Linen doesn't hold up well to tight throated nocks by the way.

Eric Garza

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 09:57:05 am »
I'd go with the linen as well.  I bought a roll of the domestic linen that's made to US Military specs.  After about 15 bw strings its never let me down.  I make endless loops exclusively, but I imagine it would hold up fine for flemish.  I serve the loops at both ends and where the arrow will rest with sewing thread, then saturate the cotton thread with beeswax to give durability.  It holds up fabulously, even to narrow-throated nocks.

-Eric

Offline Dane

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 10:34:44 am »
I've made double and triple Flemish strings with linen. It looks fantastic, and you can buy it dyed a range of colors, as well a natural and white. Just test the breaking stength so you know how many threads to use, and go at it. I use string makers wax from 3 Rivers, and have made them with and without serving.

Oh, sorry, I meant B-50, not D. Duh.

Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts