Author Topic: maple character bow!  (Read 14236 times)

Offline adb

Re: maple character bow!
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2013, 10:31:30 pm »
Good grief.  ::)

Offline Zion

• The blacksmith's mare walks barefoot
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2013, 10:39:41 pm »

Agreed. I think if he tried to correct it conventionally tho, he would come in way underweight?

Probably. But, as mentioned, better a lighter weight well tillered bow than a poorly tillered heavier bow.

yeah you're right, probably better to start a new one by now lol.  :o
The secret of life is learning to make your own luck.

Offline Capt

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2013, 01:46:29 am »
You need to heat it up bend it straight, varnish it and make a nice walking stick for your grandpa pr something?

:o

mikekeswick

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2013, 02:56:55 am »
You need to find your self a straight "ish" bit of wood! If you were further up North where the real men are ;) I would find you a stave.

Me too!
Seriously though find a tree that looks like a telegraph pole!

blackhawk

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2013, 07:50:32 am »
Geez....You sure know how to kick up the Mud around here...lol  :laugh: does that happen to you in real life all the time too ???  ::) 

I know it ain't perfect,but I'm just happy to see the kid actually trying here...and that's good enough for me ... ;) keep on keeping on squirrelly..and go make another one..and keep soaking up these guys advice and constructive criticism

Offline sleek

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2013, 08:14:49 am »
Honestly, the way some folks take into this kid like a double bastard rasp I'm surprised he is still here. And glad of it, kids got grit what can I say? Now no body of course means harm but the wear their sandpaper on their sleeve thats for sure. I am impressed you got that stick shooting. I think any experienced bowyer would have done it also but it would take an experienced one to get it done well. Be proud its shooting. Also be sure now to do your best to fix your mistakes. All of which have been pointed out. I think you should work on one problem at a time though, seems like with all the direction you are being pointed in, your running in circles.

The knot with the violation, I have done worse and I doubt the bow will break there, even with perfect tiller. I would first learn to get my edges smooth as bad edges ( tool marks ) break bows faster than bad tiller. Then get your tiller to come around better. Also, heat treating hinges. I do it all the time ( not hinges as I dont get those anymore, but weaker spots I hit with a heat gun ) and use a heat gun. It works, but it isnt a solution to hinges. It is a bandaid, learn to recognize them before they happen is the best way to fix them. But you have to make a few to learn about them. Based on what I see here, your doing a good job learning.

Kid, your doing well. I wish you lived by me, I would invite you to my garage to make some wood shavings. Keep at it. In a few more bows I bet you will be getting good jobs all around. Id put money on it.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2013, 10:09:02 am »
Thanks for the kind words.  Im going to start another bow this week, nothing special but im going to attempt a takedown. Its going to hopefully be a simple design. If you want ill post it when im done
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline adb

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2013, 12:19:45 pm »
Thanks for the kind words.  Im going to start another bow this week, nothing special but im going to attempt a takedown. Its going to hopefully be a simple design. If you want ill post it when im done

Why don't you find some easy to work wood and make yourself a good basic pyramid flatbow? Tiller it well, finish it nice, and that'll get you a lot further down this road than trying to make a takedown. Baby steps kid... walk before yah run!

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2013, 12:26:07 pm »
Geez....You sure know how to kick up the Mud around here...lol  :laugh: does that happen to you in real life all the time too ???  ::) 

I know it ain't perfect,but I'm just happy to see the kid actually trying here...and that's good enough for me ... ;) keep on keeping on squirrelly..and go make another one..and keep soaking up these guys advice and constructive criticism

agreed, im happy to see a bow that HE made from the beginning. we all get hinges from time to time, its how you deal with it that makes you a good bowyer.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2013, 12:35:42 pm »
I think the main thing you need to learn is patience!
It's not easy at your age...it took me about 59 years to learn patience, and I still haven't quite got the hang of it :laugh:.
The real thing is to be very self critical.
Sure your first bow that shoots is great, but a couple of weeks later you need to really study it hard and pick out the faults.
Either re-work the bow or make sure you get it better on the next one. Work hard at 'getting your eye in' so you see the tillering errors early, 'cos that's the only way you can catch them in time.
Think about the finish and fit of every single thing you do. Does the grip really feel comfortable in your hand? If you can actually feel it at all it's not right!
I think we are all trying to help, we can see you making the same mistakes we made as youngsters, but we also see you aren't just giving up like a lot of people would.
So keep at it, try to educate your eye and master those hand tools. The skill and patience you learn now will help you right through your life.
Often when doing jobs the preparation is the key. We see pictures on here asking for tiller criticism with the bow on a wonky tiller with the picture taken at an angle. Get the basics right and the rest becomes less difficult, don't worry that you may only have hand tools, just about everything can be made by hand. I recently cut a 32 tooth gear for a lathe all by hand... I could have bought one... but where's  the fun in that?
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2013, 01:07:30 pm »
How long did that gear take you man.  I love anything hand made.  Something has gone amiss with people throwing everything away and buying something new rather than fixing, or getting something that lasts more than a boat ride across the pond.  Bit of a run on sorry.  Would love to see that gear though.  Kid I'm stoked that you are sticking with it.  I would recommend a simple one piece design as mentioned earlier.  You will be happier with the end result.  Post your progress with questions, and you will get answers.  It is what you do with those answers that will make you a better bowyer, or not ;D

Offline Oglala Bowyer

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2013, 01:15:48 pm »
Ahhh yes PATIENCE. Best advice yet. Keep at it.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2013, 01:30:17 pm »
Del, that is as good of advice as can be had.  Very well put Sir!  Josh

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2013, 02:08:57 pm »
One main thing a lot of young people & older too have trouble with is finishing what you start.Although there can be exceptions especially with bows that a later talent level & time can be finished up.Taking pride in a job well done.I don't care if it's sweeping the floor.Do a good job.It's called attitude to the job at hand.Slowing down if need be.This bow making is'nt like getting a book report in on time type of thing.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2013, 04:48:34 pm »
I'm far more impressed by character in a bowyer than in the bow....

True of most things in life.