Author Topic: Working on a coffee tree bow.  (Read 6039 times)

Offline BowSlayer

Re: Working on a coffee tree bow.
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2013, 01:33:49 pm »
the limb on the right looks a little stiff mid limb. nice fish BTW  :laugh:
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2013, 10:04:27 pm »
Poggins.....The right limb as said in the mid.dle some and the left limb a little on the outer third.Then I'd heat treat it.Be patient.Let it equiliberate back to your surrounding humidity.I try to live by a 10 day wait rule myself.You'll have a really nice bow.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Poggins

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2013, 10:06:50 pm »
I got the limbs bending better , then I heat treated it yesterday now I just have to wait for the moisture to come back . I also got the skins scraped , the spoonbill skins are a little thicker and tougher than I thought , ran out of time so I put them back in the freezer , I need to get a board that they will fit on and stretch them ( not sure if I can get the oil out of them without drying them , would like to put them on raw if I could without drying them ) , after washing them in a strong dawn wash they didn't smell . Sorry I didn't get any pics , I'll try to get some when I get back to it .

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2013, 10:44:33 pm »
Yea I'm not surprised the spoonbill skins are thick and tough.I just did some flat head and blue cat skins from 30 to 40 pounds each and they are as thick as deer rawhide.Oily too.I stapled them out after fleshing them good.Sanded both sides after they were dry and wiped them down with denatured alcohol a bunch of times.They don't seem to be oily at all now.Maybe glueing yours on raw might work too.If you do dry them stapled out I think you can reduce the thickness some by sanding.I know if I put these cat fish skins on a bow I'd have to wrap em with gauze for at least a day.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2013, 01:40:42 am »
Cool post. Pretty wood for sure. Nice grain to it. That's a keeper fish! How do you cook it? Are you in Oklahoma?

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2013, 02:34:30 pm »
The bow has been setting for a little over two weeks after heat treating , I worked on the antler tip overlays last night , I need to get them on and cut my string knocks .
I think I will shorten my tillering string and put the bow back on the tillering tree one more time first , I'll try and get pics when I do . Also working on the osage bow for my supervisor , got it to the short string last night , I'll try and get pics of it also , with one limb almost perfectly clean and the other with dips and twists the tillering is going slow on it ( think I will call it " Two Face " , with one limb straight and with a little reflex and the other snaky twisty and a little deflex to it ).

Yes I'm in Oklahoma , I usually fry mine the same as catfish , I know a guy that smokes his with peach wood . The only problem with spoonbill is they have a layer of dark fatty meat under the skin ( vareies from year to year and where you get them ) if you don't get all o it off you will regret it , gotta be some of the worst tasting stuff around .