Author Topic: Best patch for a Chrysal in Osage  (Read 17034 times)

Offline Holten101

Re: Best patch for a Chrysal in Osage
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2013, 03:10:22 am »
I used to try to fix them, but now when one of my bows develops a chrysal I accept that something was wrong with my design or execution and I chuck it. It's not worth the effort in my opinion.

Im with Gordon on this one.

I once tried a Dean Torges patch with succes, but the bow was already ruined in my mind.

Cheers

mikekeswick

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2013, 03:38:33 am »
I used to try to fix them, but now when one of my bows develops a chrysal I accept that something was wrong with my design or execution and I chuck it. It's not worth the effort in my opinion.

Im with Gordon on this one.

I once tried a Dean Torges patch with succes, but the bow was already ruined in my mind.

Cheers

Me too. It can be done and is a valid technique well worth learning.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2013, 07:23:12 am »
I'm with Gordon. I'll fix bows by grinding out knots that might fail and such.... but if it chrysals because of my tillering or inappropriate design for the wood species, etc.... it's firewood. Definitely a skill worth mastering though, IMO.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline artcher1

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2013, 08:16:58 am »
To chuck your bow at this point would be a wasted opportunity to gain some experience that may serve you at some point later on. The more you know, the further you go ;D......................Art

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2013, 08:52:54 am »
Repairs are one thing,I do tons of that,frets are another,and yes I do have plenty of yellow wood. :o Next time I find some to cut,come help and I will be glad to share. ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline adb

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2013, 09:49:25 am »
As for those who toss a bow that chrysals, I guess you have access  to a lot more Osage than some of us. Want to share?

There is a difference between fixing a flaw in the wood and trying to fix a flaw in design and/or execution (i.e. a chrysal). I'm all for fixing wood flaws - I do that frequently. But if you are trying to patch a problem that is due to poor design or execution (i.e. poor tiller, inappropriate limb design, etc.), the bow will likely fail eventually in spite of your efforts. The only sure way to fix a design/execution problem is to avoid such problems in the first place.

+1 again.

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2013, 10:22:25 am »
Yeah, sometimes you're working on a bow and you think you'll get under a pin knot, or have plenty of wood around it, then it turns out a little different when you arrive at tiller. That's what the patches are for

Offline artcher1

« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2013, 10:49:20 am »
Repairs are one thing,I do tons of that,frets are another,and yes I do have plenty of yellow wood. :o Next time I find some to cut,come help and I will be glad to share. ;)
   Pappy

Now Pappy, that would take all the fun out of being a free-loader, LOL! ;D  Art

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2013, 11:27:18 am »
 ;) ;D ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2013, 01:56:46 pm »
I patched a bad crack and a large raised splinter on a bow I made for a friend with super glue and a glue soaked string serving wrap.

Tony is in the blue shirt, he finished second in the IBO world championship with the bow I repaired for him. I made Noland's bow as well, the guy in the orange shirt who finished third, and yes, I repaired his bow as well after he slammed a car door on it and broke the tip end off.

Bow repairs go hand in hand with wood bow making. I never trash a broken or flawed bow even if I can only salvage one limb off it to splice to a new limb and keep the bow shooting.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 02:00:48 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline adb

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2013, 02:32:23 pm »
Fixing broken tips and repairing bows is one thing and yes, it's essential in bow making, but that's not what we're talking about here I don't think. I think we're talking about patching belly frets. Belly frets are over stressed wood and as Gordon has so correctly pointed out, they're the result of a poor design or poor execution. It's a mistake, and something to learn from.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2013, 03:12:10 pm »
Well, I've repaired frets on bows that's still going strong. I don't think my designs were wrong. Perhaps max out a bit, but not wrong. A little added wood, or stronger wood solved the problem. I think this person is looking for solutions for a fix that'll get him back in the game with this bow. We all know that hindsight is 20/20 ;D......................Art

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2013, 08:00:17 am »
I understand where he is coming from,I guess in the earlier years I would have
tried about anything to save a bow[and did] and some of the ideas here will probably work ,if not for good at least for a while,so he should take the advice given from those that have done it  and go for it, if it works he will be happy if not then he can move on. :) I also will try repairs,on most selfbows their is some repairs along the way [almost always] I also save broken limbs and all of that for future use.But some problems such as frets I just retire it or most likely cut it up and cook brats with it and move on.  ;) :) :) Let us know how you proceed and how it works out for you. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

blackhawk

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2013, 08:26:34 am »
A chrysal in Osage you say ? Never heard of such nonsense

Made bow from standing ded wood.

That's not the cause of your frets...I've made quite a few osage bows from standing dead wood,or wood from logs laying on the ground for years and years....was this the wood you just gathered recently? Maybe your moisture content was way to high...and add in a poor design and tiller and that can probably cause issues...?

I'm with Gordon and pappy all the way....fixing flaws in the wood are one thing,but trying to fix poor craftsmanship with a patch is making firewood.....best to learn from the mistake and fix the craftsmanship...and I think the back n forth debate between whether to fix or not has overshadowed the more important reason...and that's WHY did it fret? If he doesn't find out why he's likely to repeat his mistake...jus saying

He could grind off most of the osage and glue a new belly lam on too

Offline artcher1

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2013, 09:42:48 am »
It would be helpful if we know more about the effected area. I've patched as little as one fret. Patching a small effected area vs half a limb is another story. I think we all have visions of plum pudding dancing around in our heads ;D!    Art