Author Topic: Capt's 2nd Bow, Osage recurved tips (now with money shot)  (Read 15419 times)

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
Re: Capt's 2nd Bow, Osage Pyramid style (feedback appreciated / needed)
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 12:13:15 pm »
This is where I'd start checking the bend to determine if I was going to add some static recurve or not. If it looks to me like I've got plenty of room to work with to make a decent bend at a decent weight I start steaming (personal preference, Osage takes dry heat pretty well), or if it looks like I goofed a little too much I might just reflex the whole thing a little to try to come out flat.

I'm slightly unorthodox, though. Yesterday I tillered a bow using a machete. Don't take anything I say as the approved method  ::)

I'd also draw and start filing the nocks, sanding away the profile lines, and rounding the edges of the back.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 12:57:18 pm »
Capt......Your doing fine.It would'nt hurt to put an 1and 1/2" flip on the last 4 to 5 inches of your bow tips.That might give ya a 25 to 30 degree bend.Round your corners on the back before doing any bending.I've used the edge of a 2"by4" to the curvature I want.I put a channel shaped strap on the end to hold the tip in place attached to the sides of the 2"by4".The 2'by4" I use is about 2' long.That way when I get through steaming and put the bend to the tip I make sure it is flat and in line to the handle.I think you can afford a little reflex in your working limbs too overall.Starting at your fades and increasing more to the base of your recurve of say inch of reflex.What your trying to accomplish here is to compensate for the amount of set your bow will take through tillering.Right now as said you have a pretty heavy bow.Compare your floor tillering of this bow to the bow you just made for pressure and a nice even bend before long stringing it.Take your time.Make sure you feel comfortable doing this.When does your hog season start?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline dbb

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 01:26:40 pm »
Nice progress,looks good.
I actually prefer a cut in shelf so go for it  ;D
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2013, 01:31:51 pm »
Tite bond 2 works good for tips
I like osage

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2013, 01:47:30 pm »
I think you are coming along good too.  I have used tight bond 2 and 3 for tips with no bad results.  I use super glue sometimes too - that way I can start working on it again in a couple of hours.  I wouldn't worry about those little longitudinal drying cracks unless they really look severe and then maybe I would squirt a little superglue in them, but I bet they are nothing to worry about.  That looks like a great stave.  Should make a good bow.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline adb

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2013, 02:33:20 pm »

Nah... takes too long to dry. Industrial strength CA glue is strong and quick.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2013, 02:39:22 pm »

Nah... takes too long to dry. Industrial strength CA glue is strong and quick.

Whatever who cares how long it takes to dry
I like osage

Offline Capt

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2013, 02:44:41 pm »
Is TB III better for tips and skins and finishing than TB 2??, saya on The bottle It is not as water resistat?

I just bought III and want to use it for everything is it a good option? Any better that 2.. Any what about TB polyurethane ??

I'd love to save money and have an adhesive that is good for tips, skins and finish??

I can take it back and change it, and I'd buy a selection but they only sell in 1 qt bottles here...

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2013, 02:56:23 pm »
TB 3 will do everything on your list.  I use it for most everything.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2013, 09:22:50 pm »
Whatever glue you use is fine.i used to use super glue[never a failure yet but now i use smooth on epoxy].It's a slow setting epoxy.No failures with that either.I just use a vice grip set at the right tension and pad the jaws with leather.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2013, 10:34:09 pm »
Nice stave and your doing good on it. Your getting good advice on the glue options, any of those will work fine.
Beadmans advice of putting a little reflex in the limbs and doing a mild flip on the tips is what i would do also.
Reflexing and tip flip shaping of osage is easy and takes very little time at all and you'll likely be happier with the
bow when it shows less string follow after tillered and shot in. Don't forget to round those corners also
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Capt

Re: Capt's 2nd Bow, Osage Recurved Tips (feedback appreciated / needed)
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2013, 01:22:05 am »
doing a mild flip on the tips is what i would do also.

Yep im going for the flipping of the tips... May Keep them semi-static?.....What do you all think? Pic of tip bending... >:D

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
Re: Capt's 2nd Bow, Osage recurved Tips (feedback appreciated / needed)
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2013, 02:12:19 am »
I usually go semi static for the sake of mass efficiency.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2013, 11:27:34 am »
Tips looks fine.Your lucky it's osage.It conforms to dry heat very well.If that was hickory that does have some spring back most times so you have to try to start with more bend with that stuff.You'll get the feel of it after making more bows as to how and what a heat gun will do on different types wood.If you ever want to make a form for a proper reflex on a bow Gary Davis' video is very good to see.He's been making bows quite some time.He's got it down,but I can see your perception of bow making is pretty good already and I'm sure you can come up with a form for some reflex in the limb.
BowEd
Ed

Offline sonny

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2013, 11:37:56 am »
"semi static" - is there such a thing ??
seems to me that the tips would "open" a bit OR be static.. 
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.