Author Topic: new to arrow making  (Read 1400 times)

Offline bushboy

new to arrow making
« on: September 29, 2013, 04:12:39 pm »
I finally made and effort to get some canada goose wings and now I can get them by the truck load! I didn't mix the left and right wing feathers up,was this a good idea?can the top and bottom of the feathers be used?any other tips would be great!thx's
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline seminolewind

Re: new to arrow making
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 09:59:46 pm »
Yes in order to get your arrows to have a helical twist you have to use all right or left feathers. I split them down the center with a razor blade then trim them to the right length. I also grind down the excess vane on my bench belt sander till the part of the feather which meets the shaft is flat. Also if you plan on wrapping the ends of the feathers with sinew I like to grind them down completely flat at the tips to make a smooth transition.
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 09:08:20 am »
  Hope you have the time because it is time consuming.

Harder to build a arrow than it is a bow. And takes more time.

GOOD LUCK
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline bushboy

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 10:12:49 am »
Thx's 4 the replies!yeah we get some long cold winters up here so this will kill some time!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 05:29:23 pm »
Got shafts?  Now that you have a truck load of good feathers you have something to trade for shafts, points, tools, etc.  ;)

have fun, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 08:45:49 pm »
Try starting out with Eastern woodland 2 fletch.  The Goose feathers don't want to strip as easy as Turkey, so that means trimming or sanding . Sanding is best done outside with a mask .The dust can do nasty things to you!( permanent and irreparable damage). The 2 fletch doesn't require as much finesse on the stem. Also the oil line on the Goose feathers are not as deep as Turkey.( not as stiff).  so they are well suited to this style, otherwise you will be cutting your profile close to the shaft (not a bad thing but the looks will throw off someone used to looking at store bought , die cut feathers/ arrows. You should be able to find tutorials easily on here or you tube, so there isn't any need to go into great detail. Oh yeah , it's easier for a beginner to wrestle 2 feathers/ arrow /thread or sinew  than three.  Just a suggestion. Good luck! Post pics!