Author Topic: Iroquois/Mohawk design.  (Read 12225 times)

blackhawk

Re: Iroquois/Mohawk design.
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2013, 07:47:56 am »
Cool Steve..I have yet to make me a scalloped bow...I've seen some of badly bents in person and there beauties ;) its on my list somewhere to make one  ::)

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2013, 08:37:51 am »
I've seen this bow ,you did a great job wit it
Roger
Venice Florida

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2013, 04:24:06 pm »
Now you have a shooter, Steve. It was kind of a dog when I saw it. Good job on that one, Buddy.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Bowman

« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2013, 06:18:50 pm »
This bow is  very cool. Scalloped bows from the Iroquois nations are fantastic artwork. Like it a lot. :-)
"for veik var kongens bue......."

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2013, 08:54:28 pm »
Yea, I saw that bow at the classic. Thanks for FINALLY posting it! ;)
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2013, 09:14:56 pm »
Really do appreciate the comments, everyone.  Yup Eddie, it shoots like a different bow. 

I've been wondering where you've been Cody!  I'm looking forward to playing around with some of that buckthorn in a few more months!

Thanks guys.
1’—>1’

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2013, 09:22:30 pm »
Awesome bow,,that grip looks nicely done-Hammertime

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2013, 11:24:58 pm »
nicely done Steve, I really like the scallops, but I wonder what the purpose of them was. I wouldnt think that the time invested to make them would really benefit the bows performance, maybe just to make it look meaner. is the yew bow still shooting? great job on this one.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2013, 10:04:43 am »
Heya Dave.  Earlier on the thread I gave my 2 cents.  I'd figure ornamental...but this pattern on both sides does help to create the trapped back which is the way to go for hickory.

Yup, the Yew bow is still shooting but I did bring it down in weight some.  As I've mellowed out I've found 50-55# is definitely my deal.  That bow is still probably up just above 60#!
1’—>1’

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2013, 11:11:33 am »
Hey Pard
Well done 8) . I just looked at the pics and a few posts, didn't need to read more.
How the hell do you keep that kind of scallop from raising splinters?!?
I am impressed to say the least.
I've seen Rich do a lot of work similar to this, and am always in awe as to how long a bow with such scallops could last.
Please elaborate.

Again, Beautiful craftsmanship!!

Thanks in advance.

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2013, 01:18:36 pm »
Hello Ron,

It's really not something to over-think.  This is a high quality hickory stave that came from Pappy's place in TN.  Hickory can handle these scallops without much thought.  I sanded in the scallops...I have a drum sander.  I went back and sanded each by hand and paid some time to just smooth out edges and make sure they were even. 

I'm sure I'll make more of this type of bow down the way.  I've got two more super staves of hickory curing now.  Done right, hickory makes a great bow...even here in S. Florida where humidity reigns supreme.  Keep the moisture content low when tillering the bow, give it the right design, toast the heck out of the belly, seal it well and I like to keep it in the a/c during summer.  It is amazing though how hickory changes with our dry season.  A hickory bow will pick up 5-10# down here in winter.

Osage, however, is still better wood for the southeast!  Just can't make scallops. ;D
1’—>1’

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2013, 09:09:09 pm »
Hello Ron,

It's really not something to over-think.  This is a high quality hickory stave that came from Pappy's place in TN.  Hickory can handle these scallops without much thought.  I sanded in the scallops...I have a drum sander.  I went back and sanded each by hand and paid some time to just smooth out edges and make sure they were even. 

I'm sure I'll make more of this type of bow down the way.  I've got two more super staves of hickory curing now.  Done right, hickory makes a great bow...even here in S. Florida where humidity reigns supreme.  Keep the moisture content low when tillering the bow, give it the right design, toast the heck out of the belly, seal it well and I like to keep it in the a/c during summer.  It is amazing though how hickory changes with our dry season.  A hickory bow will pick up 5-10# down here in winter.

Osage, however, is still better wood for the southeast!  Just can't make scallops. ;D

Thanks
Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline Tower

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2013, 02:06:09 am »
Unique, with great craftsmanship. 
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2013, 09:12:43 am »
Nicely done.  The museum piece had the nocks set way down on the tips with a fiber wrap above, I think yours make more sense
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2013, 08:19:40 pm »
Yeah really like it. The braced and full draw are great and the scallops are just too cool. Very well done indeed.    Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God