Author Topic: an old thread?  (Read 1898 times)

Offline BowSlayer

an old thread?
« on: October 08, 2013, 06:31:30 pm »
hey guys im looking for an old thread, i can't remember who started it but i think it was called "bows" not hard to find, right? well ive been searching for 2 hours and can't find it :( it was where everyone was showing there collection of bows. the bit im intrested in was someones post with there note to whoever they give/sell there bow to telling them how to use the bow. if any of you know or remember this thread and know were to find it could you please post a link?

the reason i ask is im giving a bow to a freind tommorrow and wan't to give him something that tells him how to maintain and look after his bow. if anyone elsehas something like that do you think you could post it below or post a link to it? thankyou in advance for any help. it's just that ive spent so long on this bow i would hate to see it broken due to poor maitenece. thanks

-Jez
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline BOWMAN53

Re: an old thread?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 06:49:28 pm »
buddy im not trying to be mean but you really shouldnt give away any bows right now. they might get a splinter just holding your bow. your friends are going to be around for awhile(or atlease they should be), wait untill you can make something that you are one hundred percent sure wont break. nothing will ruin a friendship like a piece of oak through the eye.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 06:53:38 pm »
ive done lot's of testing and it's tillered to 30" and he draws 27" and ive shot it alot 400+ times and there is no hand shock. it's also a light draw weight bow only 22#@27". and i have over-built this bow. but i get what your saying.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 06:55:40 pm »
oiy........ ok

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 07:22:10 pm »
ok i didn't find the thread but i was able to come up with a list of instructions. i didn't write all of this myself some was copy/paste. let me know if anything is missing and feel free to use it yourself.

"Dear Archer,
I highly recommend you read this before even attempting to string your bow. Your new bow has been hand crafted and a lot of work has been put into it. By following these simple steps you will be able to use your new bow for many years to come.

Keep your bow in a cool stable environment, preferable not in a centrally heated house area, avoiding extremes of cold or heat (e.g. a loft). A spare bedroom with the radiator off is ideal, a dry garage would also be reasonable place.
Your bow is best kept flat, back down, or hung vertically with string or elastic bands around one end, make sure nothing can push on it that may cause distortion.

If your bow becomes scuffed or scratched, soft furniture wax or Danish oil can be rubbed on with a soft cloth to maintain its finish and help repel moisture.
Any scratches, dents or nicks should be immediately treated with Danish oil. Preferably seek advice from a bowyer as these could eventually lead to weakness and breakage.

Although frowned on by some, when your bow has been relaxed at room temperature for two to three hours placing your bow on a flat carpeted floor, belly down with a small weight over its handle for a few hours will help to minimise string follow. Do remember bows with a slight string follow tend to shoot more consistently and accurately.

Never flex or bend the bows limbs in reverse, this will lead to breakage

Never let anyone else use your bow! Your bow is made for you and use by someone with a longer draw length can break the bow.

Never fire your bow without an arrow in it (dry fire) all the power from the bow goes into the bows limbs and can lead it to breaking

I hope you enjoy your new bow for many years to come.

Thank you,"
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 07:27:05 pm »
check the sticky at the top of the page
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 08:23:14 pm »
Nope not tat thread.  But those are some cool bows.  Have I missed anything out on the care of your bow thing in my last post?
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 08:42:34 pm »
 :o
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 09:04:51 pm »

Although frowned on by some, when your bow has been relaxed at room temperature for two to three hours placing your bow on a flat carpeted floor, belly down with a small weight over its handle for a few hours will help to minimise string follow. Do remember bows with a slight string follow tend to shoot more consistently and accurately.

Never flex or bend the bows limbs in reverse, this will lead to breakage

???

If the bow has enough string follow for that to do anything at all there might be an issue (or not, I've made a few deflex bows), and it's flexing the limbs in reverse.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 11:28:51 pm »
I've seen the thread before but not sure what the title was. If memory serves me right it was referring to some topics dealing with the care and precautions when giving or selling a bow to someone that may not be failure with a traditional bow.
Some of the suggestions were do not let someone string your bow , do not string you bow backwards , do not let someone overdraw your bow , do not leave your bow in a hot car and the list went on , it was a good thread and someone even posted a list they send with their bows . I should have marked it or copied it .
That may be the thread you are looking for , if not it is a good one to look up anyway .

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 04:19:17 am »
I've seen the thread before but not sure what the title was. If memory serves me right it was referring to some topics dealing with the care and precautions when giving or selling a bow to someone that may not be failure with a traditional bow.
Some of the suggestions were do not let someone string your bow , do not string you bow backwards , do not let someone overdraw your bow , do not leave your bow in a hot car and the list went on , it was a good thread and someone even posted a list they send with their bows . I should have marked it or copied it .
That may be the thread you are looking for , if not it is a good one to look up anyway .

Thats the one.
London, England.

45#@28"