Author Topic: New poster, is my impulse purchase any good?  (Read 8527 times)

Offline horsetime

Re: New poster, is my impulse purchase any good?
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2013, 01:56:23 pm »
Nope, never posted on reddit. 

Offline StickMan47

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2013, 05:43:15 pm »
First of all I gotta say hats off to PD/War for yall's generosity. That's one of the things I like about PA.

Horsetime, you did right by not buying a bow of the bay. I am new to this bowmaking addiction and my wife got the bug for a selfbow. Since I am new and broke my first attempt I bought the $45 eBay special for her to shoot with until I get enough experience making them "safely" myself. Needless to say the bow had lots of hand shock! I had to put a cork handle on it to offset some of the shock.

If I had it to do all over I would have spent my money on a good stave! Anyway, looks like these guys saved you from another bad experience. Oh, btw, welcome to PA.
Makin fine firewood, one bow at a time!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2013, 06:41:37 pm »
Welcome fellow hoosier.  You will be happy with what you get from Pearly and Warpath, and it will be usable.  I have a bow from Pearly and one of Warpaths arrows.  Both are top notch. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2013, 07:25:07 pm »
Before I was even interested in bowyery I bought an ebay bow for eighty dollars and didn't know enough to tell it was hinging in both limbs. Shot it twenty times and it blew up in my face. The things money gobblers will disgrace online :(
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2013, 10:13:44 pm »
Horsetime, there is one caveat to accepting the bow/arrow deal with those too knuckleheads....you gotta post pics of you, with the bow, and full SCA kit! 

Squirrel Drums and Warped Path are adequate for the job, I guess.  Just remember, you have the same qualifications to learn to make the gear that they had before they started.  Stick around a while, learn a little, pick up some used hand tools at a flea market...AND MAKE YOUR OWN!

If you think those two were quick to jump in to help you out, we'll all pitch in even faster when you decide to make your own.  THAT is what we live for around here.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2013, 10:15:15 pm »
Before I was even interested in bowyery I bought an ebay bow for eighty dollars and didn't know enough to tell it was hinging in both limbs. Shot it twenty times and it blew up in my face. The things money gobblers will disgrace online :(

Jeez, huisme, how many times do I have to say I am sorry?!    ;D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2013, 10:27:21 pm »
It will be enough next time >:D
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2013, 10:43:45 pm »
Horsetime you will be happy with a bow from P/D. I have seen some of his and they are awesome.

Offline warpath

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2013, 11:23:03 pm »
Hey JW- "Wapred Path" ?  :o You don't know how right you are!!! >:D  HA!!!!! But you're right. Making your own equipment is much more satisfying!!!

G

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2013, 10:41:48 am »
One thing about your bow, is it can probably be rescued with a strip of hickory glued to the back, and a good going over with a heat gun on the belly. I feel like the seller sold you a bow that someone left strung for a very long time or was possibly was green wood to start with.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2013, 10:52:41 am »
Couldn't be a prop could it? A bow made to look braced for film sets etc?

Offline horsetime

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2013, 12:14:09 am »
I'll be sure to post pictures for everyone to see!  I'm just blown away by the awesome people here.

I don't know if it's a prop, overused, or if someone made it that way.  The riser is a different piece of wood and has been glued and sanded down really nicely and I don't see someone taking that kind of time on a prop.  It does have some flex when I step through it, but I'm not sure I want to put a string on and try to shoot it.  I fear it might explode.  I just need to be patient for the bow being made by Pearl Drums.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 12:18:55 am by horsetime »

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2013, 12:32:40 am »
I'd put a string on it. Not very tight. Just to make it look like it's at brace. Hang it on ur wall
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2013, 09:00:26 am »
Look at the picture of the bow where we see the nock end (where the string loops go), horse time. You'll see a ton of grain lines that run off.

You want straight grain lines tip to tip.

There are internet bowyers who do take pride in their work and actually spend time in selecting board stock. Phil Silva is one. Contact him.

woodbows.com

He sent me a bow years ago as a gift and it was good. You'll spend more than the $40 you spent but it is well worth it.

Of course, you could always make your own.

http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/index.html

Jawge

Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!