Author Topic: She Oak / Casuarina  (Read 2423 times)

Offline feral

She Oak / Casuarina
« on: October 04, 2013, 09:07:18 pm »
Hello there
My first post. Whilst not new to archery I I am to making  my own bows. I have heard  that people have been making bows out of She Oak or casuarinas. It grows wild around here and I was just wondering if anyone has used it and if so are there any tips or tricks to it.
 thanks

Offline Hamish

Re: She Oak / Casuarina
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 09:47:58 pm »
I think Badger  made some a couple of years ago and thought it to be a good timber. He may be able to suggest a good design, he is a real master. Americans call  she oak, Australian pine because of leaves  look similar to pine needles.

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 10:22:47 pm »
I've had my eye on some of those as well.  There are patches of them on some of the spoil islands in my area.  I know it's pretty dense.  I'm just not sure how easy the bark will come off.  Where is "here" for you?
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 02:29:16 am »
I've tried my hand a few times.  It's tricky, but if cut and processed just right, can make a very fast bow. It makes a better Woodland bow. Undoubtedly, the hottest damn firewood there is.  Stand back!
1’—>1’

Offline feral

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 05:05:10 am »
Here is Lake Macquarie In NSW. I know how hot it burns as I used a stack of it last winter. The bark came off easily enough. I used a British Army Jungle knife to get it off. Yes it is very dense and I would never call it Pine. I will do a search then and see what I can find. Its funny that there doesn't seem to have had much use in OZ. I spoke to some blokes from a traditional Archery club near me and will go and see them .
cheers.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 12:57:30 pm »
I've found it's best to cut it at the end of the dry season when we've had some cold weather.  The bark will peel off in a solid strip.  Find a tree that is absolutely straight and hasn't twisted during growth.  The lattice of splits on the back don't matter as the grain is so interlocked.  They also make good little sapling quicky survival bows. 
1’—>1’