Author Topic: New neolithic bow found in the melting snow!  (Read 2878 times)

Offline tdeland

New neolithic bow found in the melting snow!
« on: October 04, 2013, 12:22:33 pm »
http://m.livescience.com/40058-snow-reveals-neolithic-bow-arrow.html

I don't know about ya'll but I think this one will solve the debate about holmegaard style...
So cool, those slate arrows are nice I want to try it.

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
Re: New neolithic bow found in the melting snow!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 12:33:21 pm »
Love these finds! Those Slate tipped arrows must have weighed a ton!  Look how sharp those shoulders are near.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 01:37:33 pm »
I think this is a great find as well, but I fail to understand it's relating to Holmegaard bows. I thought this looked more like a "D" cross-section bow, ELB style. Giving more rise to the theory that a narrow round belly bow came before the flat bow. The arrows are very interesting.
"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 03:27:51 pm »
 8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline k-hat

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 10:59:36 pm »
So they make it sound as though the bow and arrows were found together.  Hmmmm, guess that hunter was using his great great great great great great great great great great grandaddy's hunting arrows

;)

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 11:35:11 pm »
So they make it sound as though the bow and arrows were found together.  Hmmmm, guess that hunter was using his great great great great great great great great great great grandaddy's hunting arrows

;)

Lol yea I was thinking the same thing about the arrows being dated thousands more years older then the bow
I like osage

Offline tdeland

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 11:57:26 am »
As for Holmegaard I was looking at the last section of the limbs. the tips have a shelf and are thicker than the rest... looks like static to me...
http://i.livescience.com/images/i/000/057/469/original/bow-fragments.jpg?1380635648

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 01:32:31 pm »
The oldest of the arrows were possibly thousands of years older. Why is that wrong? If people hunted reindeer for thousands of years on the same snow patch there is no reason why a whole set of gear couldn't be lost right on top of an arrow or two that was left behind a few thousand years before? An archaeologist could come along and gather them all up as one set before realizing later that a few arrows don't belong in the set.
 Not really any different from a garbage dump midden containing artifacts that could be thousands of years apart and found right next to each other.