Author Topic: Instinctive Shooting  (Read 1348 times)

Offline bow101

Instinctive Shooting
« on: October 05, 2013, 12:38:39 am »
I just picked up this disease, so my shooting skills need much work.   Is it even adviseable to take up Instinctive Shooting style or just stick with regular aiming.?      ???   Does it take long to shoot Instinctively..?
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Instinctive Shooting
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 01:04:43 am »
Instinctive shooting is not everything, it's the only thing.  ;)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 12:42:24 pm »
I agree with Patrick. Instinctive shooting eliminates a lot of factors that can screw your shooting up if you do your part. To begin you have to shoot a lot and not just shoot but make every shot a positive one. Concentration is important too.  Just like throwing a baseball, basketball or football and hitting your target, it takes practice.
 I learned from G.Fred Asbels book "Instinctive Shooting".
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 01:34:57 pm »
i look, i shoot, i kill. that's instinctive shooting, any questons?
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 01:49:17 pm »
There isn't any aiming. U get shakey when trying to hold the bow back due to no let off. Hit your anchor and let her fly
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Robby101

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 02:08:04 pm »
Just relax and shoot. Your eyes are a natural range finder. Let your muscle memory take over and be patient with yourself, it'll come! have fun!!!!!
Robby

Offline Gordon

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 03:29:56 pm »
Remove the sight on your bow and start shooting. Your aim will be awful at first, but you will get better with practice and time. And if you stick with it, at some point you will surprise yourself at how accurate you can be.
Gordon

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 04:02:38 pm »
Start at 5 yards from the target. Point at the target right where you want to hit it  ,using your arm that holds the bow . Draw to a consistent anchor and release. Your arrows should be hitting right where you point. Back up a few yards when you are comfortable  that you wont miss your target and repeat.  If you find that your arrows aren't hitting where you aim ( consistently left or right)  do NOT compensate. The arrows are likely the wrong spine or your brace height is off. Keep repeating the process until you are at 15 or 20 yards from the target. If your set up is good , you should be shooting instinctively out to  15-20 yards  with deadly accuracy in no time. I teach people with no past experience to shoot and hit a 9" target   within an hour at 15 yards. You will amaze yourself at just how natural it is! It's like throwing rocks. I usually find that most (not all) will do better with a three finger under release. Good luck.

Offline DGF

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 04:05:07 pm »
Stump shooting is the best thing you can do for yourself. You're constantly shooting at different ranges in an open outdoor environment. It's way different for me than shooting at fixed ranges indoors. I wish I wasn't in the city and could do it more often then I do.

-Dan
Wyoming, MI

Offline 4dog

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 11:25:09 pm »
^^^^^^  +1
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline bow101

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 11:33:41 pm »
Thanks guys, kind of like throwing a ball, dart, golfing, etc.......etc.........its all Instinctive. But with a bow you have extra points. The bow held with one hand, the knocked arrow and the release hand.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell