Author Topic: BOM Anyone? yikes!!!!  (Read 28030 times)

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: BOM Anyone? yikes!!!!
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2013, 10:23:20 pm »
Blackhawk,
That's probably good for those who have  >:D  ;D  ;D  ;)
I still like the thought of "finished posted bows of the month".

DBar
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 10:34:12 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2013, 11:35:11 pm »
I don't know where to begin on this... some random thoughts:

I too have had a few issues that went missing in the past, but I took advantage of that 3 year e-mag deal.  Lost issues are not a problem now.  I think regardless of the magazine content (I almost always find something of interest in it) that is a small price to pay to support this forum that we all love.

As for BOM being a "beauty contest", I don't think that is necessarily true.  In the few years I have been here I have seen winners that look like they were carved with rocks and dragged through the coals.  Everyone has their own criteria for what they consider a worthy bow.  My criteria change all the time. Sometimes I will vote for the underdog, if I feel like they really pushed themselves.  Sometimes I will vote for a bow that looks like it's been banged around for 60 years. Sometimes I vote strictly on a tiller that appeals to my eye. Sometimes I vote for "artsy" bows.  I'm not ashamed of that.  For anyone who does not vote simply because they don't like the trend of the voting results, you are not helping your cause.  If anything it should motivate you even more to make your vote count.

I've been around here long enough to see the difference after the "subscription rule" took effect.  I see both sides of the argument.  But I also know that just putting the contest together each month takes a lot of time from several people.  These people volunteer their time.  Organizing the contest for say 10 people that care about the magazine (and thus this forum) is more rewarding than organizing it for 50-80 people who can't be bothered to show some support.

I'm with Parnell.  I want to be judged against my peers, not A peer  ;) I'd like to see more entries, but I don't really know what the solution is.  Some of you guys take this "contest" way too seriously.  Lighten up, and VOTE!   8)

Offline adb

« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2013, 11:37:24 pm »
I don't know where to begin on this... some random thoughts:

I too have had a few issues that went missing in the past, but I took advantage of that 3 year e-mag deal.  Lost issues are not a problem now.  I think regardless of the magazine content (I almost always find something of interest in it) that is a small price to pay to support this forum that we all love.

As for BOM being a "beauty contest", I don't think that is necessarily true.  In the few years I have been here I have seen winners that look like they were carved with rocks and dragged through the coals.  Everyone has their own criteria for what they consider a worthy bow.  My criteria change all the time. Sometimes I will vote for the underdog, if I feel like they really pushed themselves.  Sometimes I will vote for a bow that looks like it's been banged around for 60 years. Sometimes I vote strictly on a tiller that appeals to my eye. Sometimes I vote for "artsy" bows.  I'm not ashamed of that.  For anyone who does not vote simply because they don't like the trend of the voting results, you are not helping your cause.  If anything it should motivate you even more to make your vote count.

I've been around here long enough to see the difference after the "subscription rule" took effect.  I see both sides of the argument.  But I also know that just putting the contest together each month takes a lot of time from several people.  These people volunteer their time.  Organizing the contest for say 10 people that care about the magazine (and thus this forum) is more rewarding than organizing it for 50-80 people who can't be bothered to show some support.

I'm with Parnell.  I want to be judged against my peers, not A peer  ;) I'd like to see more entries, but I don't really know what the solution is.  Some of you guys take this "contest" way too seriously.  Lighten up, and VOTE!   8)

Well said, young feller.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2013, 12:46:38 am »
I typically dont enter anymore because, while I do make some fancy bows, I really would rather see my simple, elegant bows get voted on, but I know by popular demand that they wont get more than 2-5 votes at most.

Are you kidding me Ryan? I don't think that there was anything particularly "fancy" about this stick, but it stands out in my mind as one of my favorites, and definitely had my vote.  Seems to me it even won for that month.  There goes your theory...  ;)

Edit: Sorry for putting you on the spot.  Just trying to make a point.  For what it's worth, you make kick-ass bows.  You too Chicken Hawk.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 12:59:00 am by Cameroo »

Offline sleek

« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2013, 05:05:48 am »
I thought of entering once, looked up the rules and saw the rule about a subscription. Being as I cant afford it, move to much to justify it, and buy the issues I like of the mag rack, I dont see myself getting a subscription any time soon. Because I am not qualified to enter, I deem myself not qualified to vote. As a result, I havent even looked at that section of the forum in at least 2 years. Aside from that, I dont see the deal over it anymore. I judge myself harshly enough as it is. I do like to see others comments on my bows though. Not for ego reasons, but for learning reasons. I dont deny that a comment saying good job doesnt give me a brief warm and fuzzy.

I will add too that the thread titled something like bows of primitive archer kinda irritated me a little bit. Over it now though. A photo thread of bows by folks was being created and several pages long. I posted a few of my favorite bows, and the thread just stopped. Mine werent added to the link with all the bows.  Certainly not crying over it, but I just dont care to compete anymore, and am actually thinking about oiling up my tools, and putting them up for a while too....
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2013, 06:32:12 am »
Don't really know why I don't enter anymore,don't build many bows is one reason, involved in a lot but don't make many. I always enjoyed it and must say it's better with more bows in it to look at.  May be a popularity contest in some ways but that only makes me feel worse,[I must not be very well liked] :-[ :-[ :) Beauty is part of it also but I have seen very plane bows win,I usually go for a good reliable hunting bow but that is just me.PA subscription I think is a good thing also,they need the support and buying off the rack I will say is better than nothing but not much as far as support. PA gets very little of that,you can say I guess you are supporting Wally world or where ever you are buying it from. A few from the rack will more than pay for a lot more through subscription.  ;):) :) Lot's of folks get their feeling hurt when they don't fair well in it and decided to not come back, They really believe they have the best bow out there. :o It is hard to judge a bow from a picture but it ant a prefect world and this is the best we can do on line. I will try and do better in supporting it and hope more will do the same.  ;) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #66 on: October 16, 2013, 11:03:09 am »
HAHAHA Camaroo.. I knew that one would find it's way on here.   but you will notice there were no particularly fancy bows bows to beat me out that month...lol
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline Parnell

« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2013, 11:49:02 am »
You know Cameroo, I've realized that you've got a good thing going there putting your subscription number on your post.  I'm gonna follow your lead.
1’—>1’

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2013, 01:12:51 pm »
I stole the idea from J Dub   8) Keeps it handy anyway

Offline bubby

« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2013, 01:15:40 pm »
I gave my sub # to cip once and haven't had to since
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2013, 01:27:22 pm »
As Pat and Pappy said, buying the mag from a news stand does very little to support PA. 

It's been many years since I submitted a bow.  One of the reasons I stopped is that there was too much rigging of the votes, some people would get their friends to register an account and vote for them, I don't have a lot of friends so I couldn't compete with that one  :).  Really though, winning using those methods is not really winning IMO. 
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline bubby

« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2013, 01:31:01 pm »
As Pat and Pappy said, buying the mag from a news stand does very little to support PA. 

It's been many years since I submitted a bow.  One of the reasons I stopped is that there was too much rigging of the votes, some people would get their friends to register an account and vote for them, I don't have a lot of friends so I couldn't compete with that one  :).  Really though, winning using those methods is not really winning IMO. 

the only problem is anyone that would do that to win, it doesn't bother them a bit to win like that
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline adb

« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2013, 03:54:44 pm »
Please explain to me how buying the mag off the news stand doesn't support it? I'm being sincere. Does the publisher not receive revenue from sales?

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2013, 04:03:42 pm »
Please explain to me how buying the mag off the news stand doesn't support it? I'm being sincere. Does the publisher not receive revenue from sales?

they have to pay to have it shipped to the store then the store takes their percentage when its sold which results in a lower profit than if they sold it directly to the customers. they make even more profit with the eMag cuz they dont even need to print it.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2013, 04:04:39 pm »
they still make a profit but not as much as direct sales