Author Topic: Elm Bow  (Read 6959 times)

Offline RyanR

Elm Bow
« on: October 16, 2013, 07:54:15 pm »
Well here it is.  64" tip to tip 50# @ 26".  Tillering is still tough for me, I lost my reflex and have about one inch of string follow.  It shoots a arrow where I look.  I originally had it 5 pounds heavier but the lower limb appeared stiff.  I don't have the eye for the tillering process yet.  I enjoyed working with this wood and have the other half of the log so I have another chance.  Feel free to criticize my tiller so I can see where I screwed up.  There is a little natural reflex out of the handle so things may not appear as they really are there.

blackhawk

Re: Elm Bow
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 08:01:14 pm »
Improving all the time....good to see....just takes more time in the saddle is all and your eye will develop better...I see no hinges and a decent enough bend...if anything to be hypercritical would be maybe the top limb is a hair stiffer...and I also see no reason not to enter it for BOM!!! ;)

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 08:08:22 pm »
Can you post a pic of the entire back profile? Is it a pyramid bow, or are the limbs parallel for a ways?

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 08:17:30 pm »
nice bow, do what blacky said and enter that baby

Offline RyanR

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 08:27:35 pm »
Can you post a pic of the entire back profile? Is it a pyramid bow, or are the limbs parallel for a ways?

It is parallel halfway down the limb.  I did have a problem when heat treating where the heat travelled around my form and scorched the back in a couple spots.
I just got done shooting her. Can't wait till Friday evening when I get to go hunting with it.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 08:39:04 pm »
A couple more pics. Bow with other half of log.  Water buff tips, thanks Pearly.  I hate to ask, the stave was given to me.  Can anyone identify what type of elm this is?

Online paulsemp

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 08:51:01 pm »
Looks good to me. I like to take set back handle staves and go with a little r/d sort of a bow. It seams to take some stress off the limbs. Boy you've come a long way since meeting you in Marshall. Cranking them out one after another.

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 08:54:00 pm »

It is parallel halfway down the limb.  I did have a problem when heat treating where the heat travelled around my form and scorched the back in a couple spots.
I just got done shooting her. Can't wait till Friday evening when I get to go hunting with it.

Good job... correct tiller for that profile shape.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 09:11:43 pm »
Looks good to me. I like to take set back handle staves and go with a little r/d sort of a bow. It seams to take some stress off the limbs. Boy you've come a long way since meeting you in Marshall. Cranking them out one after another.
Its kind of addicting. >:D I just have to stop for awhile and deer hunt if that is possible..... Maybe I could build another during season. LOL.   Its a disease.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 09:14:53 pm »
It looks really good to me!  Nice work!  Josh

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 10:31:13 pm »
Nice looking elm bow there, nothing wrong with a little string follow if it hits where your aiming. Now get to hunting, that bow will take a deer. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 10:35:28 pm »
i think it's awesome.  The tiller looks pretty good to me too. 
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline mwosborn

• Mitch Osborn
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 11:32:32 pm »
Looks like a nice bending bow to me.  Very nice looking tips too.  Haven't worked any elm yet - have some drying in the shed. Can't help on the elm id - but it sure is straight!!
Enjoy the hunt!  Mitch

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 01:03:24 am »
I would definitely bring that to the woods!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 05:36:10 am »
I see nothing wrong with that,looks like a great job.Beautiful bow. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good