Author Topic: Another Crazy Badger Idea  (Read 38376 times)

Offline Badger

Another Crazy Badger Idea
« on: October 19, 2013, 06:27:24 pm »
Another Crazy Badger Idea

It is pretty hard not to notice how the level of workmanship and skill levels has steadily grown over the years. Something I have been thinking about lately is how to capture this period of time so others years from now will have a better sense of how to relate to the evolution of this hobby.

We have some good books out there right now on archery and bow making but techniques and knowledge continue to improve as they likely will continue to do for the foreseeable future.  What I would like to see is a conglomeration of different bowyers nominated by the PA members to each do a chapter. Maybe a minimum of 5 pages to a maximum of 30 pages. It would not necessarily have to be a “how to” make a bow book. The writers would be encouraged to maintain a philosophical and even humorous approach to whatever they want to talk about. Not to worry about contradicting or supporting anyone else’s theories or ideas just go with your own flow.

If someone lacks writing skills they could still make a contribution by possibly teaming up with one of our better writers who is not one of the authors. Not sure if PA magazine would be interested in sponsoring this or not. Maybe give ourselves a timeline of one year to complete.

Any Feelings or thoughts about this?

Offline Badger

Re: Another Crazy Badger Idea
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 06:28:37 pm »
   I would be more than willing to help organize and manage the program hopefully with help for some others.

Offline Poggins

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 06:57:01 pm »
I would like to see something new , most of the books cover some of the same stuff , they are all good and even over time they have improved over earlier editions .

The folks on here that have many years of experience have seen a lot change in designs and ideas .
Even when I go back to the early posts on here and read I can see the way things have evolved , so many things have changed from the type of wood used to glues and sealers used now that wasn't available then and some that are no longer available .

The bowers bibles have been my main sorce of information but PA and Tradrag have been my go to lately , the knolage that you find is priceless .

I would defiantly like to see a new book come out with more tips and tricks that some of you have come up with , also more on the Molly bows and some of the artwork that some of you do on your bows , the backings you use .

If you come up with and print a book I will be waiting in line for it , you can never learn too much .

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 07:49:10 pm »
I can't tell you how excited I was whenever the newest Bowyers Bible was released. I would be just as excited over the release of this kind of project!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 07:55:41 pm »
I'd love to pair up with someone that doesn't feel confidant with their writing skills.  I was just thinking along similar ideas about a new TBB where each chapter is devoted to a different style of bow and what it takes to make that particular style.  Example, Chapter 1 The D Bow, simplest design there is.  Chapter 2 The ELB...a modified D Bow.  Chapter 3 The Narrow Handled Flatbow.  Etc, Etc.  Each of those has a slightly different tillering to get best results, each has it's own idiosyncracies, each has it's advantages and disadvantages.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 08:32:07 pm »
  JW, thats kind of the lines I was thinking on. Once we established who the authors would be would could creat another wed site for the authors and bounce idea off one another until we came out with the final product. I woukd like to see about 20 authors, doesn't have to be a small book.

Offline dmc

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 08:32:38 pm »
I'd buy it!
Carpe Diem- Seize the Day!!

Offline sonny

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 09:05:45 pm »
I think one of the chapters should be about repairs for some of the common problems that we come
across.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 09:56:13 pm »
I don't think its a crazy idea....even tho there's lots of good bowyering material out there I still think there's lots more that could be written....and its always good to keep up with the times so to say..if we didn't we might be trying to read the bowyers bibles in King James version...lol  :laugh: ...I've always wanted to write something out for "lever bows"....I've helped sooooo many guys in person and over the computer build there first lever bow,and I get asked all the time thru pms and such...and it would be nice if the next time someone asked me I could just say to go read such n such book ;) ...

Offline Weylin

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 10:13:11 pm »
I nominate Gordon!  >:D  It would be great if he put together a piece about all his finish work techniques. I know the little bit that I have gleaned from him in person and from his build-alongs have vastly improved my finish work. This is a great idea, Steve. We have a lot of great knowledge here.

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 10:30:08 pm »
Sounds like a good enough idea.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 10:41:15 pm »
Love it!!  'tain't crazy neither ;)

Offline twisted hickory

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 10:57:50 pm »
Sounds like I would be interested in buying it.
How to for each writers favorite bow.
Common problems encountered when building them.
 ;)

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 11:05:51 pm »
Badger,

I think it is a great idea....BUT, I also see problems with people saying...that's bull, that don't work, ect. How will you be able to verify what is legit, and what's not....and who decides that?

VMB
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 11:23:05 pm »
That's a valid point, Brian. But it's not like the Bowyer's Bibles were handed down from above. Some guys with a lot of bows under their belts put together some articles about what works for them and published it. Not everyone agrees with all the things they said either. That's the great thing about what we do, there's not just one way to do it. There's more than one way to skin a cat. Hopefully people can go into this with the right attitude and with open minds. Maybe we can even incorporate the diversity of techniques intentionally into the project. Showing different methods for the same result side by side to emphasize that there are different schools of thought.