Author Topic: Update on my tillering question  (Read 2273 times)

Offline Tiredtim

Update on my tillering question
« on: October 22, 2013, 11:21:52 am »
Well, I want to thank all of you for the information on my tillering issue. But, unfortunately, it broke.  But the strange thing is that is broke on the opposite limb. 
Tell me, how many bow do I have to break to get one that works?  Any ideas?  I followed the dimensions suggested in The Bend Stick.  Looking at the Bowyers Bible, their dimensions are even thicker.  I didn't tiller it too thin.  I was putting a sting on it using a bracing rope and it snapped.  Did any of you want to give up?  I've broken WAY more than works.  Getting a little frustrated.  I'm not going to quit, I just want to hunt!  Thanks for any information. 

Offline adb

Re: Update on my tillering question
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 11:26:58 am »
The initial learning curve is pretty steep! Can you share some pictures?

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 11:31:24 am »
I know you get tired of hearing "everyone breaks one now and then" and "I broke x amount before I got one that worked" and "If you aint breaking, you aint making", but everyone goes through this.  In my experience (very limited), poor wood choices have been the main culprit, along with other rookie mistakes.  Keep your head up man.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline finefirewood

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 11:37:27 am »
I got lucky with my first bow, but other projects...not so much. I've probably made more kindling than finished projects throughout my woodworking journey, hence the username!! Another pitfall, at least for me, is no matter the end result, I always see the flaws. I look at my first bookcase and cringe every time. Keep your head up and learn from it all, including your successes.
Making ordinary wood into fine firewood one stick at a time!

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, 01:58:02 pm »
I broke some where around 15 before I got a real bow that was presentable and shot more then a week
I like osage

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, 03:01:14 pm »
How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop? The world may never know?!?!?!?
But I do know if you keep going youll get there
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 03:05:50 pm »
where do you live? I'm sure someone close enough to come help you

Offline skarhand

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, 03:22:37 pm »
Like Gsulfrage said, I think the biggest key (especially on board bows) wood selection is most critical. I also have been lucky to have only broken one so far, and I made it knowing ti would probably break because it was a questionable board.

When I selected the 2 oak boards I have used so far, I had to go through every single stick of wood in 2 different Lowe's stores. and now they have no good boards left because they don't go through a lot of stock and I took all the good ones, lol.

I think the biggest help to me in learning good wood selection was this page:

Now the rest of the build-a-long may or may not be frowned upon here because he leads young bowyers astray with fiberglass backing, but his tips on wood selection really helped me.

http://poorfolkbows.com/oak.htm

Others on here may be able to recommend other resources on proper wood selection, but I'm a visual kind of person and seeing pictures of "good" and "bad" helped me know what to look for.

Offline Tiredtim

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 03:30:13 pm »
Thanks for the encouragement.  Paul, I live in Central Arkansas.  What dimensions do you guys lose?  How thick do you make the limbs? 

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 03:38:18 pm »
Read and reread the tillering section in the bowyers bible vol1.
Remember dimensions will only get you to rough out/ floor tiller stage. Even wood from the same board can behave differently.
Just keep making shavings and you'll get there.
Also I strongly recommend making some mini bows about 18 inch long. Very quick to make and will teach you a lot.

Don Case

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 04:25:29 pm »
Now I'm really, really new at this so take this with a pound of salt. It seems to me, from what I've read, that the hard part of making a board bow is picking the board. You have no control over what the store carries and if it's the only close store you may leave with a sub-standard board. If I were in your shoes I would find a nice tree and cut a stave. Then, at least, you could peel the bark and know that you have a pristine back to work with. If the bow works you have probably had bad boards. If it doesn't then you can start doubting your tillering. Not saying-just thinking
Don

Offline Tiredtim

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 04:26:49 pm »
Read and reread the tillering section in the bowyers bible vol1.
Remember dimensions will only get you to rough out/ floor tiller stage. Even wood from the same board can behave differently.
Just keep making shavings and you'll get there.
Also I strongly recommend making some mini bows about 18 inch long. Very quick to make and will teach you a lot.

I have never thought about that.  Thanks!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 04:58:14 pm »
Keep at it. It took me awhile and I am still learning.

Info on my site.

http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/index.html

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!