Author Topic: Muscadine Jelly and other homemade goods  (Read 2695 times)

Offline Marks

Muscadine Jelly and other homemade goods
« on: October 23, 2013, 10:34:03 am »
Made my first batch of muscadine jelly on Monday night. Let it set up till yesterday after work. Boy is that stuff good. Between me and my pregnant wife we ate almost half a jar. She said this may be her favorite pregnant food. I only ate 1 sandwich but don't tell her I said that. I don't imagine our 4 pints will last till next year. I also have some apple jelly my granny made for us and plan on getting some purple pea hull jelly which she is famous for.

I'm quickly learning that things you make at home are better than things you buy. Not that that was ever a secret. We have vowed never to buy pickles again. Made 20 jars this year. Made a little maple syrup last year but that is too much time and work for the small amount you get back and we rarely ever use syrup. Canning has become one of the few hobbies my wife and I share together. We keep 2 freezers, one for garden veggies and one for meats. I would love to learn to keep bees but I don't know if I have time to devote to learning it.

What other foods do yall put up and make yourself? Give me some ideas.

Offline Ed Brooks

Re: Muscadine Jelly and other homemade goods
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 11:26:03 am »
Marks; I can fish, deer meat, mushrooms, make and can applesauce, can fresh fruit, I also make freezer jams.
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 02:22:00 pm »
You aint kiddin about that muscadine jelly being good!!  I had a vine on the corner of my property when I lived in Kentucky.  We harvested several gallons off it one year.  All kinds of jelly and a couple gallons of juice fermented on me (dang it)  :P before I could get something done with it.  Good stuff!
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Stoker

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 04:42:56 pm »
Sour cherry, plum, apple rhubarb,grape jam and apple butter all from my trees. dried 7 different herbs from the garden and 3 different hot peppers.. Was gonna can elk meat but you have to get one first. Season ends tomorrow ain't looking good..
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Stoker

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 04:44:50 pm »
Oh yea i remember now... What is muscadine???? Explain it to a flatlander prairie boy
Thanks Leroy

Offline Marks

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 05:43:47 pm »
Its like a wild grape. They are a little bigger and grow wild around here. They are dark purple, almost black. The ones I got came off my father-in-laws vine. He picked all he could reach already for muscadine wine but lucky for me he is short. I picked about 6 pounds worth of leftovers for some jelly. I hear it makes a great cobbler too but I'd hate to have to seed em. I'd send you a jar but my wife might put a hurtin on me. Don't get between a pregnant girl and her favorite snack.

Since we moved into a house I've gotten much more interested in learning to make stuff. For example a selfbow. Still working on that one off and on.

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 05:49:17 pm »
  Marks   I got a gift basket one time years ago  there was a tiny jar of that it there,, man 20 years later I still remember that!!!!!  BTW congrats!!!!!!!!!  don't  give  her too much,,,,,, " sometime what they love " Prego,,,,they  hate!!  not so prego" (a quote from my lady)?  JeffW

Offline Stoker

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 12:01:33 pm »
Never get in the way of a pregnant lady.. Be like sticking your hand down a badger hole... I once had to go to a allnight truckstop and get fries and gravy at 3 in the morning :o Congrats on the new one incoming
Thanks Leroy

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 05:36:13 pm »
I'll be on my third year next year with my Muscodines, and its cousin, Scuponons and Florida Hybrid grapes. Can't wait to get in the jelly and wine business. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?