Author Topic: Accuracy  (Read 10162 times)

Offline Archeress

Re: Accuracy
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2013, 08:00:43 pm »
who knows why i do what i do...i have been told i am single bloody minded though which is true...maybe i have the spirit of warbow archers from the 100 years war in my veins..just kidding...actually my family history is english and welsh so maybe there is a DNA link there. 
Archeress is a long way from home

Offline Heffalump

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 04:19:10 am »
Yeah would be good!  What's TORM?

Hey Will, TORM is "The original reenactors market" it's huge, everything medieval from a sallet to a wooden spoon and everything in between. In a master stroke of organisation it's being held about a mile and a half down the same road on the same weekend as the NLHF! Go figure  ::) We'll probably do a half day at each......I'm going on the Saturday, you?

John  ;)
Semper Specto in Vitae Parte Clara

Offline WillS

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 04:30:55 am »
Not sure yet! TORM sounds ace, didn't even know about it!  I'll need to sort transport and accommodation as it's a looong way north for me ;)

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 11:46:18 pm »
Here's the secret to target shooting with warbows. Ipe arrows. 11/32" ipe arrows run at an average spine of 93# for me.

Offline Atlatlista

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 05:15:55 pm »
Wow, that's really interesting.  I might want to try an ipe arrow, but in like 5/16" or 9/32" or something.  That would give me something narrow but dense for long range FITA shoots with trad equipment.  Where do you get ipe arrows?
So men who are free
Love the old yew tree
And the land where the yew tree grows.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2013, 05:54:57 pm »
I make them. Cut the shafts from boards I get from a local wood lots deck making pile (same place I get the wood for my bows).

Offline Atlatlista

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2013, 08:55:50 pm »
I make them. Cut the shafts from boards I get from a local wood lots deck making pile (same place I get the wood for my bows).

Got any eye candy photos of them?
So men who are free
Love the old yew tree

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2013, 10:16:16 pm »
These are finished and fletched as well as some raw shafts.

Offline Atlatlista

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2013, 11:37:38 am »
Sweet!  Those looks really pretty.  I want to try some hardwood shafting at some point.  I need arrows that have some durability to them for stumping and the like.  POC just shatters if you look at it funny.
So men who are free
Love the old yew tree

Offline WillS

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2013, 12:17:01 pm »
Try birch.  They're indestructible.  I use them for 100lb+ warbows both in 1/2" and 3/8" diameters.  Not had one break yet! Plus they're totally traditional, as they were found on the Mary Rose.

Offline Atlatlista

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2013, 06:45:07 pm »
Try birch.  They're indestructible.  I use them for 100lb+ warbows both in 1/2" and 3/8" diameters.  Not had one break yet! Plus they're totally traditional, as they were found on the Mary Rose.

Awesome!  I know where to get laminated birch shafts.  Do you also use ordinary birch?  Is it easy to keep straight?  Do you just mill the arrows from planks?
So men who are free
Love the old yew tree

Offline WillS

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2013, 07:08:51 pm »
I've only used birch straight from a log.  No idea if laminated birch would be strong enough for a warbow? Certainly the traditional way is to split half inch blanks from a log, and turn them on a shooting board, tapered from 1/2" to 3/8".

They smell good too.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2013, 07:44:18 pm »
I had an ipe arrow do a full pass through on a deer and get lost in a swamp bog. Found it a MONTH later. Stripped it, recrested it, fletched it, put a new head on, and dropped it back in the quiver....

Offline Atlatlista

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2013, 02:26:57 am »
i honestly cant say..however in november 10th i am taking part in some clout shooting for the first time.  i will be using 90 cm round targets and using a 110 pound longbow/warbow..i will give you a report if you like then.
i will say i wont be emplying a rolling loose..just a simple draw and arc.

How did this turn out accuracy-wise?
So men who are free
Love the old yew tree