Author Topic: Scraper?  (Read 1202 times)

Ahnlaashock

Scraper?
« on: October 26, 2013, 03:55:06 pm »
This one was in with the rough blanks also, and it may be a rough blank, but doesn't appear to be so to me. 
It is made out of what may be quartzite, but whatever it is, appears to be quite grainy, with a rough texture, even where it has been knapped. 
It appears to have been knapped on a core, struck off, and then had some edge correction on the concave bottom, but the flat to concave rough stone is still there over the majority of that side.  Since it technically has some working on the second side, such as some small pressure flaking type sharpening scallops on the edge, I am not sure what it would be called. 
It appears that a shape was knapped on a core, and then driven off, to this beginner.  Anyway, here are pictures of the tool. 

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Scraper?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 06:07:54 pm »
It's a Blank out of some real crappy material. The scalloped edges were made from percussion or, maybe indirect percussion. I don't know of anybody that would want to try thinning that rock down by pressure flaking.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Ahnlaashock

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 06:18:06 pm »
It is sharpened on the working end, and the edges are well blunted from use.  If it is a blank, someone used it. 
Again, not arguing with you.  I appreciate the help! 

When I post the next thread, I will be very interested in your reaction. 

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 06:26:51 pm »
No argueing on my side, just my interpretation of what I'm seeing from the photos. Thanks for posting them, I'm bored. I don't see any sharpening except what was made from percussion flaking and the other end does look like it might have been ground, possibably/probablly preparing platforms for further reduction.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Ahnlaashock

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 06:31:30 pm »
I will switch cameras for the next one if I can.  The points discussion should prove interesting I think.