Author Topic: Info wanted on Sioux bow design  (Read 11586 times)

Offline richpierce

Re: Info wanted on Sioux bow design
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 05:05:02 pm »
I am getting those books for Xmas.  meanwhile you (or should I say "yew") guys are a wealth of information.

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007, 05:25:57 pm »
lol....thank yew!

Joe, yes, several of that style bow are represented in those books. If you are planning on doing native american replicas then these books are a great foundation. They do not describe method or how to. You need to have basic bow building skills as these books are purley graphic. I reference them all the time for my projects.

I doubt that a book store will have them Joe, will have to order them. I only wish that Jim and Steve would publish a full book on the west coast bows.

SJM

joewaco78

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 05:28:10 pm »
I forgot to ask.. Do you already know howto put the reflex in? We would steam it over a fire.. Well.. Actually.. they would put it in the ground with a whole process but yeah anyway.. Over the fire... Til they can bend it and wrap it around a a tree in a V shape and tie it off.. and let it dry... they would get their rounded V reflex... string it tiller it(sorta) and they were ready to go...

joewaco78

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2007, 05:32:07 pm »
For this particular bow I don't need the books but I would like to peak...... Haha.. My grandfather taught me... I would have no prob building this one... I know howto get the reflex and double horns... Both methods.. And I have a pretty good howto because this one I remember easily.. But you(yew?) are right... I still need to get my basic bowbuilding down.. I will do my boardbow first... Then I will start playing :OD

I wish they had em at bookstores.. but I can check just the same... Cant hurt...

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2007, 05:41:36 pm »
Cool man. Its a tough  bow to build. Lots of heating. I built a jig and mine are actually 5 curve bows.....or gullwind style. meaning....same basic bow but with recurved tips...just slight.

I use a heat gun to do all my bends. I was only pointing out the able to build bows so that people do not buy these books with the expectations that they are "how to" books. They are not. They are invaluable to the primitve bowyer though. You will not regret getting them.

SJM

Bowsage

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2007, 08:34:02 pm »
Dimensions I found in Al Herrin's, Cherokee Bows and Arrows are (for a Sioux style horse bow ) Draw wt. 55# 22in draw, between nocks 54 in. limb width ( widest) 1 3\8 , Limb thickness at thickest point ( excluding handle 1\2 in. , width of tip at nock: 3\4. Thicknesss of tip at nock: 5\16

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2007, 11:16:04 pm »
look for a book by Reginald & Gladys Laubin called "american indian archery" it is very informative and has illustrations on how to make several styles of native bows, even horn bows. definitely worth the read. ;)