Author Topic: Hard maple  (Read 4528 times)

Offline kevinsmith5

Hard maple
« on: November 01, 2013, 06:12:52 pm »
So my local wood supplier has just gotten in some 10" wide 8/4 northern hard maple. Looking at the straight grain along the side of one 8' board had me drooling. That one board would be $100. I'm thinking backing, cores, and maybe bellies (anyone ever done that?). Do you think it's worth it?

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Hard maple
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 10:58:37 pm »
So my local wood supplier has just gotten in some 10" wide 8/4 northern hard maple. Looking at the straight grain along the side of one 8' board had me drooling. That one board would be $100. I'm thinking backing, cores, and maybe bellies (anyone ever done that?). Do you think it's worth it?

I've had super good luck with hard maple as backings. Funny enough, I've had extremely bad luck using it as a belly wood. This is all lumber from a dealer. So I don't know the exact type of tree, just that is was hard maple.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 11:49:36 pm »
Looking at the edges I should be able to cut backing strips off the edges for several, inches with straight grain. Then i think id be into strips that would be for cores in trilams.

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 01:42:38 am »

I've had super good luck with hard maple as backings. Funny enough, I've had extremely bad luck using it as a belly wood. This is all lumber from a dealer. So I don't know the exact type of tree, just that is was hard maple.

+1

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 02:18:53 am »
The first lumber I bought for bow making was hard maple.  A board of almost those same dimensions and price.  If the grain looks straight down the side edges, go for it.  Once you rip that up, you will end up with some nice quatersawn lumber.  The stuff in the middle of the board is ideal for backing strips.

$1oo seems like a lot for a board like that, but you will likely get at least 6 or 8 bows from it, plus some prime backing strips.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 02:42:38 pm »
Here's a strip I couldn't get to break. Granted, it was only 3/32" thick x 1" wide or so, not a full 1/8", but it still reminded me a lot of hickory. It didn't have the spring back hickory would of had though, it kinda took a set, more than a good sapwood hickory strip would. And the grain was all over the place.

Edit: Notice the black burn marks from my abused woodslicer blade,  >:D. I just keep cleanin it off, and it just keeps cuttin, it just burns and smokes like hell. Power tools are never gonna be my thing probably,  ;D.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 02:46:08 pm by toomanyknots »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 02:50:15 pm »
Nice coil spring, knothead.  You gonna start making wooden mechanism clocks?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 02:59:01 pm »
Nice coil spring, knothead.  You gonna start making wooden mechanism clocks?

Hey, how'd you know what I was up to,  ;D.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 12:02:44 am »
Well, I went down today and they cut me a 4" chunk off the side of that slab. 8' of 2"x4" (true dimensions) straight grained maple, 2- 6'10" 2"x2" ipe, one 6'10" 1"x2" Jatoba, and 4" of 1"x4" purpleheart and I was out for $71.