Author Topic: Worm holes in Hickory  (Read 6512 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Worm holes in Hickory
« on: December 10, 2007, 01:17:55 pm »
I'll try this one more time...
 Have some nice stave's of Hick (at least I hope I still do). Taking off the bark and sealing didn't prevent either checking or bugs ???. Anyway, I chased one down ten rings and still found a wormhole. What do ya'll think about a hick bow with a few small holes in the back? These bugs are tiny, the holes are about 1 mm in diameter, or is it all fire wood? Don't want to do a lot of work for nothing...

[attachment deleted by admin]
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline tom sawyer

Re: Worm holes in Hickory
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 01:24:45 pm »
As small as the holes are, and as tough as hickory is, I think you can get a bow out of the wood.  I wouldn't push the limits as far as design goes.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 01:24:51 pm »
I would guess that the stave should still work, I've seen pics of osage bows with holes in the limbs big enough for a chickadee to fly through. I have some hic staves with bug holes, too and I've wondered the same thing. If you'll test one, then I won't have to  ;D ;D >:D ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 01:30:57 pm »
Paul, the hickory I got from Pappy had 2 small holes in it, I'm assuming there from bugs. They are closer to the handle but
I wouldn't let em worry me to much, make a bow if it blows on ya you can tell us all about your failure and we will have a pity party >:D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

bjordnolf

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 01:32:42 pm »
I've made some hickory bows that were full of those little holes, its nothin to worry about.
thanks

Offline cowboy

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 02:44:51 pm »
Sounds like we're a go thus far ;D. Damn bugs, hehe......I've done chased that one down beyond bow capabilities but have plenty more to choose from, and hey - that was by far the worse one. Maybe the rest will work - with a backing ;). I'll let ya'll know...thanks..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Lilmoosecountry

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 03:17:14 pm »
I'll try this one more time...
 Have some nice stave's of Hick (at least I hope I still do). Taking off the bark and sealing didn't prevent either checking or bugs ???. Anyway, I chased one down ten rings and still found a wormhole. What do ya'll think about a hick bow with a few small holes in the back? These bugs are tiny, the holes are about 1 mm in diameter, or is it all fire wood? Don't want to do a lot of work for nothing...
Sinew sounds like your cure. I think it would be better to over build than throw away. This late in the game

Offline Kegan

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 08:36:08 pm »
I made a hatchet bow from a standing dead piece of wood a little while back- the back was RIDDLED with holes. I was suprised it held. Just bone down the back and you'll have a fine selfbow.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 12:08:35 am »
Super glue! ;D     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline david w.

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 12:25:37 am »
i read inTBB1 a linen backing was better at brute protection than sinew is
i would back it with that

These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline cowboy

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 10:09:12 am »
I'm thinking super glue (in the holes) and a nice deerhide backing, if she blows after that ya'll will be the first to know. Thanks guys!

Offline YewArcher

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 01:43:43 pm »
I have made several bows with holes well bored into the back. One even had a hole all the way through. The bows are all still shooting today. I am not sure if you can break a hickory bow!

SJM