Author Topic: Use Set to Advantage  (Read 3878 times)

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
Use Set to Advantage
« on: December 14, 2007, 12:48:00 pm »
It seems to me that R/D bows are actually bows that have an induced set, ie., the Deflex, with subsequent reflex added during the glueup/clamp process.  
Why can't one take bows with, say, 2" set and heatgun in the reflex later, thus making a fine R/D bow? ???
« Last Edit: December 14, 2007, 12:51:39 pm by OldBow »
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Use Set to Advantage
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2007, 01:16:28 pm »
Don, If the deflex is stress induced, the belly cells have been damaged and by adding reflex you add more stress. I have never heat treated a belly but that might help it to hold the reflex.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DanaM

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2007, 01:17:12 pm »
Don the first time I saw a R/D I didn't know what it was and I thought man that bow has a lot of set
and they tried fixin it. Would be a good experiment wouldn't it, maybe badger will see this and I bet Marc
could shed some light.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 01:28:27 pm »
 Most true Deflex/Reflex bows have the deflex put in the handle, not the actual working limb. So set is not actually the reason for the appearance of the bow.

Adam Keiper

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 02:11:51 pm »
The r/d bows are glued up with such a profile and are tillered from the beginning with the starting profile in mind, so that stress is evenly distributed in the limbs.  If a bow were tillered with stiff outer limbs to purposely create or allow set right after the fades, the wood would be overstrained there.  The uneven distribution of stress would then be made worse by reflexing the outer limbs.  Frets or a blown bow would likely be the result.  Also, trying to induce reflex into limbs that have already taken set (collapsed belly wood cells) doesn't work too well.  Off the caul, the reflex looks great, but it's quickly lost with a few tugs on the bowstring.  Reflex is most effectively added during the pre-tiller stages.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2007, 04:30:11 pm »
 Don,  One of the best bows that I ever made was that little R/D ambush bow from a deflexed yew stave.  It had 3" of natural deflex in the center and I just heat treated the belly of the mid and outer limbs befor tillering. It worked perfect and everything held with no noticeable loss in profile. It is very easy to string due to profile yet the limbs are strong enough to give early draw weight and they have never been subjected to overstrain and crushing of the cells.
  It has totally changed the way I look at staves now. What I used to consider the worst side of the stave I now see as new possibillities.   Keenan

Offline Kegan

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 06:32:59 pm »
If the tips are stiff already, I just recurve them and heat treat the belly. I've had more luck with deflexed recurves than R/D ???.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 10:18:38 am »
I hear ya, Old Bow. Why induce set. LOL. If I did that I'd get an extra dose of it. Most that do, do so on wood backed bows. I have been able to correct set by reflexing the last 8 inches of a stave. Works best when done before full draw and works best on osage. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!