Author Topic: Take a guess  (Read 23122 times)

Offline Atlatlista

Re: Take a guess
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2013, 10:09:06 pm »
It is definitely Giraffe shin bone. But how does it look the way it does?

By shin bone, you do mean tibia and not metacarpal/metapodial, right?
So men who are free
Love the old yew tree
And the land where the yew tree grows.

Offline adb

« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2013, 10:11:22 pm »
A 'shin bone' is a tibia, yes. We've already established it's Giraffe shin bone, but why does it look like it does?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2013, 10:11:31 pm »
stabilized?   Chewed on by a large carnivore?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Atlatlista

« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2013, 10:11:39 pm »
My guess - limb shaft fragment with exposed marrow cavity and grooves from hyena gnawing.  :P
So men who are free
Love the old yew tree

Offline J05H

« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2013, 10:13:07 pm »
I guess its burnt in some way, or from the ankle where the two leg bones come together.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline Atlatlista

« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2013, 10:13:57 pm »
A 'shin bone' is a tibia, yes. We've already established it's Giraffe shin bone, but why does it look like it does?

Sort of.  The way giraffe legs are built, what most people would call the "shin" (the part right above the foot) is actually the metatarsal, whereas the tibia is the part that bends backwards towards an "elbow" type joint.  And that's for the rear leg.  If it's from the front leg, it's definitely not a shinbone, it's either a radius or a metacarpal.
So men who are free
Love the old yew tree

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2013, 10:15:32 pm »
I think you read the post about pooing on finished bows, an tested the tips! :laugh: :laugh:
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline J05H

« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2013, 10:16:30 pm »
I think you read the post about pooing on finished bows, an tested the tips! :laugh: :laugh:
  :laugh: lol

Offline adb

« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2013, 10:17:15 pm »

Sort of.  The way giraffe legs are built, what most people would call the "shin" (the part right above the foot) is actually the metatarsal, whereas the tibia is the part that bends backwards towards an "elbow" type joint.  And that's for the rear leg.  If it's from the front leg, it's definitely not a shinbone, it's either a radius or a metacarpal.

I never said it was the font leg, you did. It is Giraffe shin bone, so yes it's from the back leg, but we've already established that.

Offline Atlatlista

« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2013, 10:18:28 pm »

I never said it was the font leg, you did. It is Giraffe shin bone, so yes it's from the back leg.

I didn't say it was, I just pointed out that "shin bone" doesn't mean anything when talking about giraffes.
So men who are free
Love the old yew tree

Offline adb

« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2013, 10:20:21 pm »

I never said it was the font leg, you did. It is Giraffe shin bone, so yes it's from the back leg.

I didn't say it was, I just pointed out that "shin bone" doesn't mean anything when talking about giraffes.

Not my terminology, but you're not staying on track. Small hint... I got it from a buddy of mine who is a custom knife maker.

Offline J05H

« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2013, 10:22:33 pm »
Stained giraffe shin bone? Possibly blood stained?

Offline Atlatlista

« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2013, 10:24:41 pm »

Not my terminology, but you're not staying on track. Small hint... I got it from a buddy of mine who is a custom knife maker.

All right, my curiosity is too piqued at this point.  I'm going into my lab to go through the giraffe bones...
So men who are free
Love the old yew tree

Offline adb

« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2013, 10:25:21 pm »
Stained giraffe shin bone? Possibly blood stained?

It is stained and stabilised for knife handles, but like I said, the bone is naturally smooth. The bone does not naturally look this way. (Really BIG hint).

Offline J05H

« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2013, 10:26:14 pm »
Heated Dye?