Author Topic: gluing fail  (Read 7101 times)

Offline yebon

gluing fail
« on: November 04, 2013, 08:51:29 am »
I was gluing my hickory backing on my red oak board and i did not put enough clamps on and there are a few places where there are gaps..Is there anything i can do to fix this.  I do not have pictures now but can get later.  They are small just enough to get a small blade in.  This is my first bow so i am learning.  Thanks for any advise

Offline lostarrow

Re: gluing fail
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 08:54:20 am »
What kind of glue ?

Offline yebon

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 09:05:09 am »
the glue i am using is Tightbond III

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 09:31:29 am »
stuff the gaps with saw dust and more tb3. ought to work enough still for a first bow... as long as its not a heavy bow
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline yebon

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 09:38:20 am »
Great i will try that...thank you i was hoping i could salvage this bow or at least attempt to salvage it. 

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 10:30:03 am »
stuff the gaps with saw dust and more tb3. ought to work enough still for a first bow... as long as its not a heavy bow

I disagree. TB3 is not a gap filling glue. This type of glue bonds at the molecular level and needs flat perfectly matching surfaces. Ditch the clamps and use inner tubes for glue up... cheaper and better.

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 12:04:31 pm »
well if its not perfect try super glue maybe? thinner stuff and it fills in gaps ok. i have not had an issue with tb3 not bonding well but then again i have not had this specific situation either. hope i didnt make ya ruin a bow!
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 12:17:59 pm »
#1...where exactly are the gaps? If its in a stiff handle area,or several inches from the tips it might be OK?

#2...pics? Your definition of a blade might be a pin needle razor edge or a machete? Big difference....and how long are the gaps?

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 02:13:29 pm »
#1...where exactly are the gaps? If its in a stiff handle area,or several inches from the tips it might be OK?

#2...pics? Your definition of a blade might be a pin needle razor edge or a machete? Big difference....and how long are the gaps?

have any pics that will help, the good thing about tb is you can get it to release with a heat gun and clean it up and reglue
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline yebon

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 04:11:56 pm »
i have to work but i will get pics up tomorrow..ty for all you guys for your hlep

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 05:24:55 pm »
Same thing happened to me but I had tb2. Tb3 doesn't stick to itself good so I would go super glue. Gorilla glue would be awesome if you could get it in there. It expands so it would fill every crevice. If not, runny super glue wood be best.
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 05:26:31 pm »
I've used TB and it's not gap filling. I used it on a couple glue ups but now Iam faithfully using 'Unibond 800' which is gap filling.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 05:50:08 pm »
I use it all the time with no problems you just have to have good flat surfaces and I use tubes instead if clamps
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Hamish

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 06:18:29 pm »
Have you cut out the bow's outline yet? If not, its likely that when you do, the problem will be removed or at least lessened.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 06:26:22 pm »
Superglue is strong but very brittle. So is the polyurethane in Gorilla glue. He needs something strong but flexible OR a do over.