Author Topic: Osage, snake, BIL  (Read 3928 times)

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
Re: Osage, snake, BIL
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 09:57:20 pm »
Just had to take another look at the pics.... nice bow... just curious how wide is it at the fades and mid limb and how thick is it at mid limb??
DBar

Measuring tape??? Seriously?? LOL  I started out marking it at 1 3/4 at the widest then tapering to 1 1/4" at mid limb then to 1/2 tips, but I haven't thinned the tips to that yet...  skeered...  It's right at 3/8 thick at mid limb.  I'll check the actual measurements to confirm...  The skin was fairly thick, maybe 1/16"..

That being said, I did add some "character" by undulating a bit with the width. Then when sanding the edges off of the skins some places (because of the sapwood) tore out a bit, 40 grit sandpaper wrapped on a block.  This caused even more irregularity in the appearance.

I cut the snakeskin in half lengthwise to work on the bow, the neck pieces meet at the handle center which I trimmed to meet on a band making the seam less visible.

Thanks for the kind words guys!

It is very rewarding as many of you know to cut a tree, split the staves, and make a beautiful bow. The melodic sound of the draw knife on osage, the sweet smell of the wood, and the silky feel of the final sanded bow is a romantic adventure...

My BIL is not an archer, although he has expressed interest.  It will most likely end up on the wall more than being bent..

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 10:38:01 pm »
Looks great! Really? ...................... only your third?   That's one steep learning curve!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 11:59:39 pm »
Very nice bow.  Great job on it
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline J05H

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2013, 03:34:11 am »
Nice! I always wondered how a ball python backing would look. Never figured to find out since they're mostly pets.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2013, 01:03:27 pm »
Wish my 3rd looked that good, or my 4th ...

Offline Josh B

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2013, 01:17:06 pm »
Looks like a sweet shooter!  Very nicely done sir!  Josh

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2013, 02:31:00 pm »
Bill, you asked for measurements: 1 3/4 at the widest tapering to 1 1/8 at mid limb. Skin and wood thickness at mid limb is  11/16, the sapwood there is about 1/8  I was off on my guess of 3/8...

I learned a lot from this stave, kind of "tested" my techniques.  Thanks again for the compliments!