Author Topic: gluing fail  (Read 7100 times)

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: gluing fail
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 09:02:36 pm »
Heat it up and pull it apart !
Clean it up and do it right this time !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 09:32:17 pm »
I vote for a mulligan!   Use a caul on the backing  side of the glue up to keep the pressure even. Quick and easy! Start with a straight one , or only slightly reflexed to get the "feel" for it.  If you do use the inner tube thing, I would suggest not spiraling around  the glue up. In my experience ,it creates more tension on the one edge.   

What is your set up for this Adam? Any pics?

blackhawk

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 08:06:50 am »
I vote for a mulligan!    If you do use the inner tube thing, I would suggest not spiraling around  the glue up. In my experience ,it creates more tension on the one edge.   

If you make your backing strip close to final dimension and your belly core wider and almost full width to the ends it won't grab at the edges and buckle the backing strip up...and if you dont spiral it around,then how are you gonna wrap it?  ??? When you do wrap just be conscious each pass to maintain good even side to side pressure... Then after you unwrap it you can cut it out close to your backing strip,then clean up to it with hand tools from there on...

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 02:58:10 pm »
I vote for a mulligan!    If you do use the inner tube thing, I would suggest not spiraling around  the glue up. In my experience ,it creates more tension on the one edge.   

If you make your backing strip close to final dimension and your belly core wider and almost full width to the ends it won't grab at the edges and buckle the backing strip up...and if you dont spiral it around,then how are you gonna wrap it?  ??? When you do wrap just be conscious each pass to maintain good even side to side pressure... Then after you unwrap it you can cut it out close to your backing strip,then clean up to it with hand tools from there on...

2x4 with nails on opposite edges. zig zag fashion. Do you have some pics of your set up? Every attempt I made trying to use the spiral method ,left me less than impressed. Always wound up with more tension on the downhill side, and less pressure in between , even when spaced close together. I'm a cabinetmaker ,and I have glue more than my share of wood together, but am always looking for new, better, faster , cheaper, easier....... After a couple attempts, I had abandoned this  method  and chalked it up to urban legend. Wasted time adds up to lost money very quickly for me.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 04:09:15 pm »
I got some rubber membrane from work and cut the strips 1" wide and long enough to start in the middle to the tip and double back to the middle .Imho if the backing is to thin to start it's gonna want to buckle no matter what you do if using a tb types of glue.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bubby

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2013, 05:56:21 pm »
sorry lostarrow but just because it doesn't work for you doesn't make it an "urban legend" as you put it, I do all my glueups wrapping tubes with great success, not everything works for everyone but that don't mean it won't work, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline adb

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2013, 06:55:36 pm »

2x4 with nails on opposite edges. zig zag fashion. Do you have some pics of your set up? Every attempt I made trying to use the spiral method ,left me less than impressed. Always wound up with more tension on the downhill side, and less pressure in between , even when spaced close together. I'm a cabinetmaker ,and I have glue more than my share of wood together, but am always looking for new, better, faster , cheaper, easier....... After a couple attempts, I had abandoned this  method  and chalked it up to urban legend. Wasted time adds up to lost money very quickly for me.

I have glued literally hundreds of laminated bows using bicycle inner tubes and TB3, and not ONE has been a problem. Obviously, you need to apply EVEN pressure while wrapping. I'm not sure what you're doing.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2013, 09:38:39 pm »
GUYS!..... That's what I'm saying! .... What am I doing wrong? Help me out here. I just said it didn't work for me , and am always  open to suggestions. That's it!....... I'm going to give it another go. 

Offline adb

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2013, 11:26:51 pm »
No idea what you're doing wrong. It's not nuclear physics. Pull an even amount, rap around, repeat. It's important to pull with the same amount of tension when you're stretching the tubes. Sorry, no offense... I just can't imagine how it's possible to bugger this up. Can you post some pictures?

The other option... do a search on this forum. I know Cam (Cameroo) did a vid and posted it on youtube with the link here. I'm sure you could find it. I taught him, so that's the way I do it. Pretty straight forward stuff.

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2013, 10:22:35 am »
No idea what you're doing wrong. It's not nuclear physics. Pull an even amount, rap around, repeat. It's important to pull with the same amount of tension when you're stretching the tubes. Sorry, no offense... I just can't imagine how it's possible to bugger this up. Can you post some pictures?

The other option... do a search on this forum. I know Cam (Cameroo) did a vid and posted it on youtube with the link here. I'm sure you could find it. I taught him, so that's the way I do it. Pretty straight forward stuff.

No offence taken. Now you know why I just didn't bother anymore . Like you said it's not rocket science , so when I had less than acceptable results  it was akin to being slapped and called an idiot :-[ >:( .  Don't have pictures because It was likely 15-20 years ago that I tried it . Having confirmation from several trustworthy sources now that it does work ,  both makes me want to try it again and also  a little disappointed in myself that I gave up so easily so many years ago and didn't look back.

Bubby : I never said it doesn't work , just that it didn't work for me! I am a very strong believer in trying things and doing things that work best for each individual.  I've trained a lot of people over the years and the first thing I always say is "This is how I do it. If you find a better way or something that works better for you, I'd be more than interested in learning. There's always room for improvement." 
    I'm addicted to learning. That's why I come on here.  Thanks guys!

Offline bubby

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2013, 01:56:02 pm »
that's cool, it's just when the term urban myth gets thrown out there it comes across like it's a myth

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2013, 10:33:11 pm »
No ,no Bubby . It was long before anything useful could be found on the internet ( still in it's infancy ). Remember dialup? Pre google ?  With no reliable source of info , and a couple of less than satisfactory attempts, ....That's when I chalked it up to fanciful myth.  It sure has come a long way since then , hasn't it?

Offline bubby

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2013, 11:01:45 pm »
No problemo , none at all

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2013, 09:24:01 am »
Never taken as a problem ,Bubby. With English being my second language and sarcasm being my first, I sometimes have a hard time conveying the written message ;)

mikekeswick

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2013, 10:04:26 am »
First you need to do one wrap clockwise then one anti clockwise. Otherwise you are putting a twisting force on the whole seebang.
If you are using a thin backing then it's a good idea to make a thicker, say 1/2 inch, strip to go on top of the backing to ensure even pressure across the whole backing or else you may well end up with a crown that you didn't want! Of course wrap this extra strip with clingfilm or similar.....
Also it's essential to use a form imo.
Have another try using these tips and i'm sure it will work for you.
I've done many glue-ups this way and you will get flawless gluelines.
Also use a drum sander to prepare the lams if possible.