Author Topic: Logic and reason.  (Read 3287 times)

Offline Bearded bowyer

• I'm younger than I look.........honest!
Logic and reason.
« on: November 30, 2013, 05:02:23 pm »
OK.......
Just been pointed in the direction of ghosts of the mary rose by Wills and also seen the reissue of his mary rose photos.
So from the documentary regarding the development of the scapulae of the archer, it shows that the very tip of the never had a chance to fully ossify into a fully formed bone. This will because there was sufficient continuous movement and force through the joint throughout their growth to adulthood to stop the ossification of the joint, creating a synarthrosis (false joint).
We don't know how much force is needed to do this over a persons growth, because there is no modern comparison group.
The only comparison we may have will from our up and coming young warbow archers. (hopefully my son included) Are there many kids shooting longbow with an aim to going onto warbow out there? because they will give us our answer.

Another thing worth noting is the use of stringing grooves. I can comfortably string my 100lb warbow without the aid of a stringer, but cannot manage my 120lb bow, cant even bend it!
What are you guys able to manage?

Offline PatM

Re: Logic and reason.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 05:34:05 pm »
Gymnasts who do work on the rings?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 06:12:34 pm »
I find the length of a bow as well as draw weight heavilly influences the ability to string it.
A smooth belend into the top nock helps a lot (as does a bit of set!)
I can unstring my 100# Elm but can't string it without a stringer.
talking of stringers, it's hard to find something suitable that doesn't stretch. I got some 4mm hemp rope on line which once it had settled in works V well.
My bones have long since ossified...it's working into my brain now too  ;)  :(
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline WillS

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 06:16:00 pm »
Is there a problem ossifer...?

Paracord.  Best for warbow stringers.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 06:42:50 pm »
I find the length of a bow as well as draw weight heavilly influences the ability to string it.
A smooth belend into the top nock helps a lot (as does a bit of set!)
I can unstring my 100# Elm but can't string it without a stringer.
talking of stringers, it's hard to find something suitable that doesn't stretch. I got some 4mm hemp rope on line which once it had settled in works V well.
My bones have long since ossified...it's working into my brain now too  ;)  :(
Del

I would think a low stretch bow string material like ff would make a good stringer string. I have used 550 paracord and it has been great. However, I have bought some recently labeled as mil-spec type 3 stuff, but it stretches a bit more than the stuff I was getting at lowes. It is only noticeable above 120# or so though. For 50.00 USD you can get 1000 feet of the stuff, which will last forever if your just making a few bows a month.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair