Author Topic: Beep Beep Beep Tiller!!!!!!!  (Read 7330 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Beep Beep Beep Tiller!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 08:14:36 pm »
@ Toomanyknots
You could see the pinches running out across the belly from each knot.
The knots were sound but the ring of black manky stuff round each knot wasn't solid and hadn't been filled or soaked in superglue.
The effect was like sawing slots across the belly every 12" or so going half way through the bow, so that they closed up at 2/3 draw.
It had tons of set and felt like a 50# bow until it got to about 26" .
It was a bow which had been returned to the bowyer and then sold on as a training bow... it's wasn't sold as perfect. But it's a great illustration of how Italian Yew isn't magic or all knot free perfect staves. Also a good illustration of how important it is to treat the manky stuff around knots.
Where a side branch grows over and forms a knot, the wood of that branch may be sound, but the bark and cambium becomes the black ring of worthless mush.
Del

That's crazy. It must of been an interesting bow to build. I think set in general contributes to stack a good deal. By the way, I checked out your blog recently, I have the same pulley 2:1 set up. I really like it, if I didn't have it I wouldn't be able to weigh my heavier bows with just a rope alone. I have thought of greasing the pulley wheels with some of that graphite grease for threaded joints and stuff, I use the stuff on my vice so I figure it might get everything sliding nicely and make a smooth pull. That's a nice looking bow you got going there too.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 06:26:07 am »
@ Toomany knots.
Please don't think I made the Italian Yew pig bow. (I wouldn't have put my name to it, tho' it does look pretty)
I won't name the bowyer, as he sold it as a 'training bow' and second hand (pre-owned ::) )
Mind, I shouldn't get cocky as the one I'm working on at the moment has taken a little set and may yet explode!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2013, 10:42:51 am »
@ Toomany knots.
Please don't think I made the Italian Yew pig bow. (I wouldn't have put my name to it, tho' it does look pretty)
I won't name the bowyer, as he sold it as a 'training bow' and second hand (pre-owned ::) )
Mind, I shouldn't get cocky as the one I'm working on at the moment has taken a little set and may yet explode!
Del

Oh I didn't think you meant you made it. I've been here long enough to know that you know what to do with a piece of yew, that is for sure, :).
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair