Author Topic: Osage available - pics.  (Read 2603 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Osage available - pics.
« on: November 09, 2013, 10:48:21 am »
I have 2 staves and then the billets I was talking about earlier.

68" long.  I started a bow from this but lost my muse.  I prefer to use a board bow method.  It is split from a stage I got from Auggie a while back.  I'm not positive there is a bow in there but I think so.  Will need some heat bending and straightening.

Here is the other side of that stave:

Also I milled up a log into 1/4 sawn lumber.  It isn't perfectly sawn.  I got some waver but I got a pretty good yield.  here is the pile:

it is surrounded by my carving stock.  They look mostly like this:

I'll prep them for "V" slices like below.  Then you just need to glue them.  I have enough for possibly 8 bows and some small kids bows.  they are 5/8" to 3/4" thick and I'll pair them up.  Just tell me a bit about the kind of bow you want to make.  BTW I've even used this joint for bendy handle bows with TB@ and it's holding.

I'm looking for a kid quiver, some kind of fluffy hide to trim the end of my bamboo quiver and quiet the arrows from rattling, a clovis/dalton spear point for wall hanging (may be in progress).  Or leather to make a quiver and arm guard for my little one.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Re: Osage available - pics.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 10:51:17 am »
I go the above pics all out of order  hopefully you get the idea  :-[.

I also have this trilam bendy handle recurve I started and lost my muse on.  bamboo backed bamboo and ipe.

It is going to be a heavy shooter. 

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 02:52:02 pm »
What's the dimensions of the bamboo backed ipe? Length, width, approximate draw length?

I can make a kid quiver for you out of wool as trade.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 05:16:05 pm »
What's the dimensions of the bamboo backed ipe? Length, width, approximate draw length?

I can make a kid quiver for you out of wool as trade.

It is a stave.  Right now it's a club but the core is thicker than I prefer so I'm going to guess that 60+ would be possible.

it is 64" long and the widest part is 1 1/8" wide.  Also the core is not bamboo it is hickory or maple.  I'm having a hard time telling.  I went through a period when I was hot for mimicking Yew with maple and Ipe.

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 07:15:20 pm »
Okay, that sounds too heavy for my tastes, at that length.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 01:36:23 pm »
I don't see why it couldn't be less either.

Offline bowhntineverythingnh03743

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 08:40:20 am »
what are you looking to trade for