Author Topic: what weight,and broadhead size  (Read 8045 times)

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: what weight,and broadhead size
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 12:40:33 pm »
Thanks, what brought this question on, eas that I bow that I made for a buddy. Arrowed a large boddied buck at ~10yrds. He only got about 3” penation and left deer with a gimp leg. The bow is a 50# Osage selfbow with 30”poc shafts from 3 rivers with 125gr. Zwicky double bevel head. The tip curld. After talkin to the hunter. He believes now that he hit the shoulder. And the initial impact did nock the deer down at first

I have used Zwickey's for a long time.  They are made from pretty soft steel.  I grind the last 1/8" of the tip off with a smooth file when sharpening them, to prevent that curling over from happening.   
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 12:51:28 pm »

Ashby's research into arrow penetration and lethality is some fascinating reading.  Much of it contradicts what you read in advertising seen in most archery magazines.  Since he is "boots on the ground" and has no axe to grind, I tend to believe him over the folks trying to sell me the latest Rage in broadheads.

??? ???He does have some skin in the game...He sells the most expensive broadheads (almost $40 each :o) and "arrow systems" that money can buy.  That said, I don't disagree with his findings, it sure seems as unbiased as a manufacturer can get. 

Extreme front of center like Ashby's "systems" do take longer to recover from paradox, than say a barrel taper with a 125 grn point and a reasonable 9-10% FOC. So maybe his short shot cautions are because of his own system design.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Renacs

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2013, 07:41:34 pm »
Sorry about my last post spelling, trying to learn how to use a smart phone.  And as an update to gimpy buck was seen Monday .  I also encouraged him to use a heavier point from the get go. Now were working on the ”perfect” arrow.    And one last thing. Bows are way easier to make good.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 07:42:54 pm »
The arrowheads that Ashby got involved with came out long after most of his body of research was was published and reviewed.  As for his price, I imagine that is because of the higher quality materials and scale of economies.  Small companies making a small batch of products have to seel at higher cost than cheaper mass produced products.

Sorry to hear your friend's Zwickey's failed him.  Sure bears out the research, though.  LIke others, I am betting the shallow wound isn't fatal for that deer. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2013, 09:20:42 am »
I figured he would be OK, seen several hit like that,they get worse cuts on a barb wire fence, ;) I have seen several in the last few years with one leg missing ,suppose it was cut of with a hay mower or hung in fence, a friend of mine killed one on my place 3 or 4 years ago had 3 legs,wonder what kind of blood trail that left, :) he seemed no worse for wear and was 2 or 3 years old,the leg had hoof like material on the bottom and was healed just fine. I accused him of killing cripple deer. ;) :) :) They are tough and anything short of a vital or gut shot they usually make it fine if left along and they get the bleeding stopped. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2013, 12:31:31 pm »
This is a great conversation to listen in on.  I'm in the process of trying to make some bone broadheads.  I reckon from the sum of this data that I'll about HAVE TO use heavy foreshafts in order to make these effective!  This bone stuff is VERY VERY light weight.  The last thing I want to do is injure an animal and NOT take it down.  Dad was pretty damned specific about that issue when I was growing up. 

"If you hit the animal, it comes home with you.  ...and don't you try to come home till you can bring the animal in with you.

I spent the better part of a 3 day weekend trying to catch-up with a stupid doe that caught one or two of the pellets that felled the buck she was standing next to on a cold November when I was fourteen.

OneBow
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 08:27:02 pm by Onebowonder »

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2013, 01:56:24 pm »
Onebow
Glad those ethics were instilled in you !
Not everyone got that memo !
The wanten waste laws seem to be buried so far back that not even the game protectors know of them !
 The Idea runs very deep in me also !
On the other hand I have a feeling many a meal was taken with  bone points so don't stress to much on that issue !!
I personally have not nor do I know of anyone around here that has had a fatally wounded deer run more than 100 yds !
Unless it is pushed and not allowed to lay down and die then it may be possible !
We have had gun shot deer come on the property to heal up sometimes they loose a leg but still get along fine !
 One doe raised twins for six years straight before her time was up !
She was a awe full site to watch try to walk, but man could she run !!!!!
In the end she was gored to death by a rut crazed buck that did not know how to handle her !
Take care and have fun !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Renacs

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2013, 06:48:44 pm »
I forgot to mention that he found the arrow. It was broken behind the head, but I
 slightly  attached. With ~2  1/2” of blood. And the arrow was a 45# spine.

FAW

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2013, 11:48:44 am »
My arrow weight is determined more from how it reacts from a certain bow. I have tried the heavier heads but in most cases am getting erratic flight. Staying with 10-11 grains per inch with 125 - 140 grain heads seem to work the best for me whether using a 60 lb bow or a 45 pounder which makes for a 500 grain arrow - 600.