Author Topic: Bamboo Backings?  (Read 4087 times)

wvfknapper

Bamboo Backings?
« on: December 10, 2007, 08:35:24 pm »
I searched the archives for an answer but couldn't find what I was looking for........Has anyone got a picture of the Belly of a Bamboo Backing? Am I correct that the glue up surface of the belly has to be perfectly flat ? I was looking at some boo strips for backings and they still had the ) shape so I guess these have to be sanded flat.

Thanks
Robert

Offline tom sawyer

Re: Bamboo Backings?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 09:54:24 pm »
Yes you work them down flat by one of several means.  You can do it by hand by rasping, or you can use a jointer if you are careful about it and use paddles.  The method I use, is to cut it down near flat with a bandsaw, then flatten it and thin it with a belt sander.  You want the backing to be only about 1/8" to 3/16" thick at the crown, nearly a knife edge on the edges.  If possible you want it slightly thinner as you go towards the tips too, since the limb will be thinner out there and you don't want to wind up wioth mostly bamboo.  It helps to flatten, then draw your pattern adn cut it out so you aren't thinning a lot of extra material.  Plus if the backing is to shape, where the width tapers you can get it properly thin.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 10:53:17 pm »
  You actually want it thicker at the tips.That way you can thin the hard wood down and reduce the tip weight.Adding a little more speed and reducing recovery hand shock. Bamboo is lighter than most belly hard wood.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 10:27:36 am »
Mullet,
No, no... you want your backing, especially bamboo, to be either flat and parallel, or taper slightly to the tip. You do not want it thicker at the tips. The bamboo backing will overpower the tips. tom sawyer is correct.

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007, 11:23:38 am »
I dont know what is right or wrong but I taper mine to 1/16th thick at the tips from about an eighth of an inch thick at the middle

links0311

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007, 11:59:36 am »
I am just getting started bow building wise, but the belt sander to me is the best way to flatten the boo.

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 12:34:02 pm »
Considering that the tips tend to bend less, and are under less stress, I think you could get away with thicker boo at the tips as long as you still had a little belly wood.  I just don't like the looks of that configuration myself, and the difference in mass isn't so great if you are making your tips skinny/deep to begin with.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline snedeker

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 01:47:52 pm »
Before belt sanding, you can save some time by doing some coarse rasping.  I clamp the piece down to a work table, use two clamps 15" opr so apart and work it in sections.  Use long, diagonal strokes to minimize splitting off the edges.  Then belt sand.  You can get 24-grit belts that really take it off -- just keep it moving.

Dave

froplord

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 09:28:10 pm »
  Do you cut the bamboo into strips after it has been completely cured?
 What is the tool of choice for this process?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 09:53:11 pm »
   adb3112,I know a few people that build bamboo backed bows for a living that might differ with your opinion. And I've never had a problem.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 10:01:22 pm »
I believe Frank's Rush and Cane sells a splitter tool, you could check it out.  I think you might want to split it before it dries out all the way, just so you split it where you want and not where it decides to pop open.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO