Author Topic: bamboo backing  (Read 5721 times)

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
bamboo backing
« on: January 06, 2013, 11:23:12 pm »
what is the easiest way to get bamboo planed flat is there a power tool or a hand tool that does this the nodes seem to me to be the problem not being flat on both sides
please help
doc

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: bamboo backing
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2013, 01:36:25 am »
The first one I did I used a hand plane. After that I would cut most of the excess off with a bandsaw then flatten on a belt sander.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 12:56:30 pm »
thanks pat b i was trying to figure out the nodes that make sense what grit paper did you use
doc

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 02:49:51 pm »
I would recommend something rough at first, to take out the bandsaw marks.  And reduce the thickness,  then something milder to finish up the final flattening.  I did mine entirely with 100 grit after the bandsaw and it took forever.  3+ hours
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 03:20:31 am »
I use a combination of bandsaw, hand plane and belt sander. Takes me about an hour and a half to prepare a strip for glueing.
Gordon

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 02:51:13 pm »
I recently found that a Joiner works really well for this job, ...but it's not a real commonly available tool.  Cut out your blanks with the bandsaw or even a tablesaw if you're feeling froggy.  Heck!  They could even just be split out by hand with a machete, but that'd leave you a bit of extra work to do on the joiner.

OneBow