Author Topic: Turtle shell arrow heads!!!  (Read 4273 times)

Lilmoosecountry

Turtle shell arrow heads!!!
« on: December 10, 2007, 11:35:18 am »
Any wise i played around yesterday with the flat bottom of a turtle shell.  I cut the basic shape of a arrow head  out with a scroll saw. I then hand filed a point & edge. I was really amazed at the there strength & Sharpness. My shell was about 3 yrs old since i found it. So it was good & hard. But at the same time i don't know if they'll work fastened to an arrow. I made a traditional style point. But this stuff looks like it would make some good fishing points as well. Has anybody played around with turtle shell for points. I almost have to believe that some Indians tried using this stuff. One thing is for sure it is a allot more sharper than flint. Does any body have some Turtle shell that they found & want to part with. I would like to explore this allot more. If you can help me. Please send me a PM. Please give your opinion on this matter
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 06:28:34 pm by Lilmoosecountry »

Offline david w.

Re: Turtle shell arrow heads!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 12:28:02 am »
That sounds awesome
I would love to see pictures
if it is really that good i might haave to try some
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline chessieboy

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 02:54:55 am »
I found a small shell this fall scouting. Sorry though its going to be strike plate on a Christmas present though. The one I have is sun bleeched and so far seems pretty brittle. I'm new to working with it though so I still have to play around with it a little.  Maybe a snapper shell thats a little thicker would work.

Lilmoosecountry

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 10:52:10 am »
Yeah i don't have a camera. I usually use the father-n-laws. When he comes around. Yeah i'm sure about big game like deer. Just don't know. But i bet they would make good turkey points. Or even small game. Anybody intrested i guess i would be willing to trade for some napped points