Author Topic: Warbow has zero set???  (Read 6118 times)

Offline TheDukesArchers

Warbow has zero set???
« on: November 15, 2013, 10:56:36 am »
Basically my war bow has no set, and is even bending slightly the opposite way. I managed to eventually get it strung due to a very kind friend sending me a decent stringer through the post. However even 7 inches down the bow gives it only a brace height of about 2 inches. I did however have to use and old arrow to push the loop into the nock as my arms just aren't long enough. The bow is 80inches and I'm 6;2. Maybe the bow having zero set has something to do with it?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 11:10:39 am by TheDukesArchers »

Offline TheDukesArchers

Re: Warbow has zero set???
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 10:58:24 am »
I've now put it on a homemade tiller and have it drawn to about 18 inches, but there is only a slight bend in the bow. Going to leave it now for 24 hours and see if it sets a little.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 11:10:09 am by TheDukesArchers »

Offline Weylin

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 11:20:12 am »
Wait. what!?  :o You're TRYING to give your bow set? If your bow has too much reflex then you should steam bend it out or something but don't intentionally damage your bow. Maybe I misunderstood what you are saying or maybe this is some weird warbow thing I don't know about but it doesn't seem like a good idea to me. It sounds like the culprit is your string. what's the material? It sounds like it's stretching too much for a good warbow string. Most guys use fastflight if I'm not mistaken. It needs to be really low-stretch.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 11:23:33 am by Weylin »

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 11:30:11 am »
I'm intentionally trying to give it some bend by using a tiller stick.

Offline WillS

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 11:35:24 am »
You sir, are crazy.

How much general archery experience have you got?  A bow with no set, or even a small amount of reflex (bending the other way) is a great bow.  Every inch the bow starts to move towards the string, power and speed is being lost.  You do not want to leave it sitting bent, as you will damage the bow, reduce it's power and cast and potentially risk breaking the bow.  Bad times!

If the string is no good then you need a better string.  There are plenty out there that are suited to warbows.  I think it's worth leaving the bow well alone, getting a much lighter one and learning how the basics work such as stringing before even considering warbows.  It's like buying a Ferrari Enzo when you've just passed your test.

Offline Bearded bowyer

• I'm younger than I look.........honest!
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 11:56:09 am »
Some thing doesn't seem quite right here.. zero set in a bow is a good thing. What I don't understand is why you arnt able to string it. What is the string you are using made of? It sounds like it is stretching like crazy. Don't leave the bow string for too long. Some people do this on a low brace over night so that the bow gets to its true draw weight, But I wouldn't recommend it. Although 80" is rather long, my warbows are all 72-74" I like em short ;)
Do you mean tillering the bow to shape it, or actually increase the un-strung bend in the bow?
matt

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 11:57:26 am »
Taken it off the tiller. The string is an 18 inch strand dracon affair. I estimate it will need to be over 10 inches away from the knock to get the correct brace height. It must be stretching as even at 6 inches the brace height is around 1 inch.

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 11:59:51 am »
Taken it off the tiller. The string is an 18 inch strand dracon affair. I estimate it will need to be over 10 inches away from the knock to get the correct brace height. It must be stretching as even at 6 inches the brace height is around 1 inch.

I was trying to put a little bend in the bow so it would be easier to string. I think the dracon bow string it came with is stretching, as i'm only getting a brace height of 1 inch at the moment, and that is with the knot around 5-6 inches from the knock before being strung.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 12:24:12 pm »
Forget Dacron for a warbow...
I just bought some Dyna Flight 10 which was fine.
The other thing you need is a stringer which has no stretch...
Del
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 04:12:17 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 12:27:54 pm »
Forget Dacron for a warbow...
i just bought some Dtna Flight 10 which was fine.
The other thing you need is a stringer which has no stretch...
Del

The stringer is fine. It was sent to me by a friend who shoots bows in the 130lb range. I think the bow is slightly too long as well.

Offline WillS

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2013, 12:45:45 pm »
The bow isn't too long.  Average warbow length is around 75-82inches long. 

If the string is definitely Dacron, scrap it.  A good string should only be about 2 inches from the nock.

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2013, 12:51:00 pm »
I think it  is the string then. With 2 inches from the knock, this one has the string laying down the side of the bow (just tested to make sure). Going to order a custom single loop fast flight string.

Offline WillS

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2013, 01:19:26 pm »
Try and avoid ordering strings made from FastFlight if you can.  It's actuay FastFlight Plus these days, the original FastFlight is long gone from production.  FastFlight Plus is nowhere near as good, so either find somebody who can make dyna flight or astro flight or D 75 strings, or order a spool of one of those materials and make your own.  You're gonna need more, and you'll save a fortune doing it yourself.

Offline TheDukesArchers

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2013, 04:07:17 pm »
Still can't string the dam thing. I tried to go for a really high brace height out of frustration (8 inches from nock) and actually managed to get the damn thing strung with some help. Still only 1 inch brace height!

String must be utter crap!!!!!

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 04:39:35 pm »
This is gotta be the craziest post I've ever read. Don't ever intentionally cause set in a bow. That is insulting and disrespectful to it's maker and the bow itself. Although I don't know why the bowyer sent you a string that cannot be strung with the bow. Your measuring from nock to nock, right? How heavy draw weight is the bow? Yes, dacron is not too good for a warbow. Although I have used one on a 100# warbow before, it was only about 3 1/2" or so maybe from nock to nock at most, it was a 20 strand b50. It did stretch unbelievably far, and you could feel it stretch during draw, but I have no idea what is going on if your string is 10" shorter than the nock to nock length. That is ridiculous. I have no idea what is going on. Oh, and I use ff plus, it works just dandy for me.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair